SS to control germany

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Smert-Fashistam

SS to control germany

Post by Smert-Fashistam » 08 Sep 2002, 22:41

Especially as the war started, it was evident that SS was more and more in control of German politics, military decision, jewish question etc. I was wondering if German forces would of been (at least) temorary succeful in russian/ european campaigns, establishing borders, internal networks, would have SS men took over Third Reich completely?

Phil V

Post by Phil V » 09 Sep 2002, 07:36

It was always one of Himmlers ambitions to have his own SS state.

Even at the conclusion of the war, when he was negotiating with the allies through a Norwegian Red Cross intermediatry he had his own fantasy of setting up his own SS state seperate from the Reich.

I beleive that he desired the State to be in the Alsace Lorraine Region.

kchuah

Post by kchuah » 14 Sep 2002, 06:06

Especially as the war started, it was evident that SS was more and more in control of German politics, military decision, jewish question etc. I was wondering if German forces would of been (at least) temorary succeful in russian/ european campaigns, establishing borders, internal networks, would have SS men took over Third Reich completely?

I cannot/unable answer this question.. but I can definite tell you...
As long as SS remain a german organization... anything is possible.

Hey... any free SS helmets to donate?

HPL2008

SS to control Germany

Post by HPL2008 » 14 Sep 2002, 10:45

That's an interesting subject. Here's my two cents:

Well, I think they would not have taken over "officially", as in forming the government or so, but still they would have taken over de facto. By this I mean that the SS would have permeated and influenced just about every aspect of German life, and they were well on the to do so. Examples:
- Police: Himmler was both the supreme commander of the SS and the German police and was continually working on blurring the lines between these two organizations: "Höhere SS- und Polizeiführer" were installed as commanders of all SS- and police units in their areas, SS-men were encouraged to join the police, policemen were encouraged to join the Allgemeine SS, security police officers in occupied countries were to wear SS uniform etc. etc. This process was far from complete at the end of the war.
- Military: Of course, the Waffen-SS. Also, the fact that all foreign volunteer units were nominally taken over by the SS late in the war.
- Economics: The SS had formed an enormous economic empire. The largest part of it was, of course, the exploitation of slave labor, but there were many other types of economic enterprises as well. Go figure: They controlled 75 % of the soft-drink and 95 % of the furniture industry.
- Youth work: The SS was heavily involved with the Hitler youth and many aspects of their training and propaganda. Also, the NPEA-schools fell under SS-jurisdiction, just like the teachers' and students' associations.
- Influence of VIP's: Many important people received honorary SS-commissions. Also, there was the "Freundeskreis Reichsführer-SS" which was made up of industrialists and businessmen making regular donations to the SS and receiving it's favor in return.
- "Security": Of course, the most infamous aspect of the whole SS: Control of the concentration camp system.

The list could be continued, but I think you see my point already:

If you control the police and part of the armed forces, influence the economy, are heavily involved in the education system, run an organization with huge financial powers which is present throughout the Reich and the occupied territories and, last but not least, command the most powerful instrument of terror, you don't have to form the government, you are the government already.

Birgitte Heuschkel

Post by Birgitte Heuschkel » 14 Nov 2002, 11:21

I think Himmler would never have gotten his own state within the state. That aside, though, I find it very likely that while not officially a requirement, it might have turned out to be very career-advantageous to have served with the SS if you opted for any position of power. Kind of like how having attended an ivory-league institution of learning is an unofficial prerequirement to many positions of power today.

Return to “What if”