Can a uboat or ship avoid naval mines through speed?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
KirinFrost

Can a uboat or ship avoid naval mines through speed?

Post by KirinFrost » 11 Aug 2018 06:08

So say theoretically theres a uboat or german ship (destroyers for eg) that can run at 25 knots or more

is it possible that the uboat would or ship would have travelled far away enough from the naval mine before it detonates even if it passes directly above the mine?

and im always curious as to whats the lethal kill range of naval mines used against uboats in ww2 as well :D

Natter

Re: Can a uboat or ship avoid naval mines through speed?

Post by Natter » 18 Aug 2018 11:52

KirinFrost wrote:So say theoretically theres a uboat or german ship (destroyers for eg) that can run at 25 knots or more
Theoretically? As far as I know, most german zerstörers had a max speed of about 35 kn, S-boote had a max speed of above 42 kn and so on.
U-boote was of course much slower, especially submerged.
KirinFrost wrote:is it possible that the uboat would or ship would have travelled far away enough from the naval mine before it detonates even if it passes directly above the mine?
No.

OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer » 18 Aug 2018 12:34

For that to work the designers of the mines would have to have ignored that possibility. And, considering magnetic mines work on electricity I don't think any likely speed of a ship would matter.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

KirinFrost

Post by KirinFrost » 22 Aug 2018 06:59

Alright thanks for the heads up xD

Plain Old Dave

Post by Plain Old Dave » 01 Oct 2018 03:48

As to surface combatants, it is eminently possible to use flank speed to evade mines through the bow wake. The US Navy's Admiral Arleigh Burke, when Commander of Destroyer Squadron 20, was asked what he was doing in a Japanese minefield. His legendary answer: "About 30 knots."

Subs, though, are a different matter. USS Barb, SS-220, held the world's record for surfaced speed for a sub in 1945 at a recorded 23.5 knots, consciously risking catastrophic engine damage to the four V-12 diesels to escape a Japanese frigate after the events that her Captain, then-Commander Eugene Fluckey, was awarded the Medal of Honor for. In numerous places in the combat history of his tenure as Captain of the Barb, "Thunder Below," Admiral Fluckey makes mention of consciously evading minefields. And if the Captain of the fastest sub on Earth at the time doesn't think speed can be used to evade minefields, it simply can't be done with a submarine..
Last edited by Plain Old Dave on 01 Oct 2018 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Natter

Post by Natter » 01 Oct 2018 10:50

Plain Old Dave wrote:As to surface combatants, it is eminently possible to use flank speed to evade mines through the bow wake. The US Navy's Admiral Arleigh Burke, when Commander of Destroyer Squadron 20, was asked what he was doing in a Japanese minefield. His legendary answer: "About 30 knots."
Interesting... I presume this matter concerned a field of anchored contactmines, where I assume a vessel could theoretically "push" aside minecupolas by the wake at very high speed. It would depend on the lenght of the hull though, as the same effect would certainly "pull" the mines back after passing. It would be a very risky tactic with no garantee of success (to put it mildly), and it would certainly not work against influence mines were a bow wake would have no effect.

Return to “U-Boats”