Submarines - Isolation by using hair of Holocaust victims

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Fritz the Rat

Submarines - Isolation by using hair of Holocaust victims

Post by Fritz the Rat » 08 Dec 2006, 22:31

Ahoi,

does anyone have heard about rumours that Germans used hair-isolation in their WW II submarines?

Fritz

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 09 Dec 2006, 00:40

Hair-isolation???

Could you please explain.

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » 09 Dec 2006, 02:41

I believe he means insulation not isolation

Dare Furor

U-boats & Human Hair insulation

Post by Dare Furor » 09 Dec 2006, 02:55

For warmth, members of the U-boat arm were issued socks made with human hair. it was an animal/human wool blend. Human hair was also used in the U.S. for sound insulation in theatres and auditoriums because of its ability to absorb sound. Based upon this, if human hair was used in U-boats as sound insulation, I am unaware of it, although it is not as absurd a notion for depression-era people as we today may find it.

Dare Furor

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 09 Dec 2006, 03:31

pzrwest wrote:I believe he means insulation not isolation
For warmth, members of the U-boat arm were issued socks made with human hair. it was an animal/human wool blend. Human hair was also used in the U.S. for sound insulation in theatres and auditoriums because of its ability to absorb sound. Based upon this, if human hair was used in U-boats as sound insulation, I am unaware of it, although it is not as absurd a notion for depression-era people as we today may find it.

Dare Furor
Right, thanks to both of you for the posts.
Well, I suppose this topic might merit some more discussion in some obscure way. However I am inclined to sink it pretty quick as the insinuations that can be derived from it would not be "pretty'. Also it seems to be in the wrong place. I'll wait though, just for the amusement.

Chris

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 13 Dec 2006, 13:49

When I do carpentry work on old houses I still occasionally find a sort of yarn or rope made from hair, used to pack joints between window or door frames. The purpose was to stop air from passing and to provide a backer for a putty or plaster finish surface. It appears using animal hair for this was common 80 or 100 years ago. Also it was used a reinforcing fibre in materals molded in a paste form. Building decorations made from plaster or cement often had the hair as a reinforcing fibre. Hair has a lot of strength and resist rot better than many plant fibres, so its no suprise it might be used as insulation on a Uboat.

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 16 Dec 2006, 04:56

Unlike US submarines, German U-boats did not have heating, air-conditioning, showers, or ice-cream. I'm not sure if "insulation" was used in construction, but it would make sense, both for sound reduction and climate control. Whereas air between the outer and inner hulls would be some type of temperature insulation, I'm not sure if air is a good sound insulator. Does anyone know of any construction plans/blue prints/renovations/preservations that would give a clue?

Dare Furor
<oooÜkooo>

P.S.:
Then, again, if the Germans knew then what we now know about noise discipline, they probably would not have issued ceramicware to U-boat crews (what was that all about?).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “U-Boats”