U-864 and the Timewatch programme this week

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
howard_moon

U-864 and the Timewatch programme this week

Post by howard_moon » 07 Jan 2007, 00:13

Did anybody see Timewatch this week? If so can anybody please confirm I am correct in thinking they made a major error in saying that U-864 was first found by HMS Venturer due to the noise from the U-boats' misfiring engine. Surely they would have to be surfaced to be running on Diesel power, yet the programme emphasised that they were submerged......saying that each time they went to periscope depth they were taking a risk. Would U-864 not HAVE to be using its' electric motors when submerged? I have never heard of any WW2 submarine that could be submerged on Diesel power, unless using a Schnorkel. If that was the case with U-864 why was using the periscope made to be such a big deal?

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 07 Jan 2007, 22:19

Howard,

Couldn't agree more mate. This programme seemed to add to the mystery if anything. After all the Norwegian eye witness said he saw a U-Boat out at sea and then saw it explode before sinking. He must have had very good eyesight if it was at periscope depth. I can understand the Brits being able to torpedo the German guys only if they were running with the schnorkel up, as this would probably leave a large wake and would explain why the Germans never spotted the British sm. I'l see if I can find any other details.

Tom

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » 07 Jan 2007, 22:39

Some of the later boats were fitted with a schnorkle which allowed them to run submerged. My friend Edgar said both boats he was on were so equipted. Both his boats were type VII(500ton). Just how long this schnorkle was I don't know probably not much longer than periscope depth. And with a mis-firing engine it would be easily detected with sound gear and that would give them a direction to look for the periscope.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 09 Jan 2007, 22:39

Yes but the schnorkel was used so that the U-boat could run its diesels dived (normally at night) so that it could charge its batteries. If the U-boat captain had any worries about being detected he would have been running on electric motors driven from the battery which would have been very quiet. I can't remember but they did say it was the U-Boat's first patrol, maybe they just cocked-up?

Regards

Tom

Return to “U-Boats”