Humanitarian treatment by U-boats

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
James P. Duffy

Humanitarian treatment by U-boats

Post by James P. Duffy » 28 Sep 2007, 17:25

I wonder if forum members can help me? I am interested in researching incidents where U-boats aided the survivors of sunken merchant ships. This could be by providing food, water, and/or mediacal supplies, or by pointed the survivors' lifeboats to the nearest land, or by sending nearby neautral ships to their aid. Thanks!

izi

Post by izi » 28 Sep 2007, 19:32

Hi, I remember reading about a U-Boat that targeted a liner then went to aid the stranded survivors but was then targeted herself, from what I can recall orders were then given not to give aid, but I may be wrong.
Have you tried http://www.ubootwaffe.net ?

regards izi

James P. Duffy

Post by James P. Duffy » 28 Sep 2007, 22:02

Thanks izi.

That was Laconia and U 156. I am looking for others that were less dramatic and historic.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 29 Sep 2007, 00:30

I recall that U 123 under R.Hardegen towed several lifeboats until they were spotted by a US aircraft. The children were brought up from the submarine and transferred to the lifeboats and the UBoat dived. Think some of the lifeboats were wrecked in the attack

Regards

Andy H

Takao

Post by Takao » 29 Sep 2007, 04:12

Here is a link to a thread a few years ago concerning Captain Georg-Wilhelm Schulz and the U 124.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... light=u124

Panzer_Lehr

Post by Panzer_Lehr » 01 Oct 2007, 12:19

The General Order from Hitler was that U-boats were not allowed to pick up survivers for two main reasons.
a. Not enough room in there and also if they were in the atlantic for long periods they need all the food they can get
b. They could be spotted and be sunk or even captured

However i believe Raeder issued an order to contradict this in which they were allowed to give aid in the sense of lifejackets and relay their posistion to other German ships to come and pick them up. The latter unlikely due to the fact that it would give away their posisition. Many commanders would have implemented this at their own discretion.

KB

sammonja6

Post by sammonja6 » 04 Oct 2007, 04:44

my fathr -in -la as a mdic on liberty ships fitted out as hosp ships .his ship was borded by crew of u-boat to conferm that it indeed was a hosp ship. he said the germans were very correct and quite nice

Von Spreuth

Post by Von Spreuth » 05 Oct 2007, 13:07

Panzer_Lehr wrote:T
However i believe Raeder issued an order to contradict this in which they were allowed to give aid in the sense of lifejackets and relay their posistion to other German ships to come and pick them up. The latter unlikely due to the fact that it would give away their posisition. Many commanders would have implemented this at their own discretion.
That was Dönitz, and he was questioned at length over it at Nürnberg. In fact it was as a result of the banning order that he was brought up on charges. OTHER than the fact he was officialy the Führer.

("Ten years twenty days", Karl Dönitz.)

Mark McShane

Post by Mark McShane » 05 Oct 2007, 18:45

Hi James,

Your in luck mate, in doing some of my own research I came across a very good story for you. September 14th 1939 the U29 under the command of Schuhart sunk the tanker British Influence. Schuhart stood by the lifeboats of the ships crew for five and half hours before another ship came into view. He then fired distress rockets to attract the attention of the other vessel, the other vessel thinking it was a ploy to attrack and sink him, turned around and fled. Schuhart chased the other vessel (Norwegian ship IDA BAKKE) caught up with him and told him to go back and rescue the crew of the British Influence. I was only in the Library today researching this, the crew were landed at Cortmacsherry, Ireland. One of the crew was quoted as saying that the German Captain was "A proper good fellow and a perfect gentleman"
If you are interested in the full story and other suvivors accounts let me know, I can send you the full newspaper story.

Regards,

Mark

Mark McShane

Post by Mark McShane » 06 Oct 2007, 14:12

Another story from U 29 and Schuhart, September 8th 1939 U 29 sunk the steam tug NEPTUNIA. After sinking the tug Schuhart came alongside the lifeboats and asked the suvivors if they had any bread and water, which they had. What they didn't have was cigarettes, matches and brandy, which was duly brought up from the conning tower and handed out to the lifeboats. A box of red flares and bandages was also supplied for the injured radio operator. One suvivor said that Schuhart told them he was sorry, but they were at war.. Schuhart also said "I am sorry I can't tow you near to a ship. There are two destroyers about and I have to put off." As the Uboat sailed away both sides waved to each other. The suvivors said of Schuhart "He could not have done more for us under the circumstances." Another crewman said " I lost £20 worth of gear, but if I met the Commander tomorrow I would stand him a drink."

Regards,

Mark

Panzer_Lehr

Post by Panzer_Lehr » 06 Oct 2007, 16:57

Von Spreuth wrote:
Panzer_Lehr wrote:T
That was Dönitz, and he was questioned at length over it at Nürnberg. In fact it was as a result of the banning order that he was brought up on charges. OTHER than the fact he was officialy the Führer.

("Ten years twenty days", Carl Dönitz.)
Ow right knew it was one of the two. Lol.

KB

Mark McShane

U 35 & "Diamantis"

Post by Mark McShane » 08 Oct 2007, 23:01

Another one,

U 35 and the crew of the Greek ship DIAMANTIS. Excellent story

http://www.u-35.com/diamantis/

I have the articles from the Cork Examiner with the interviews fromn the crew and the locals who saw the U35 in Ventry harbour.

regards,

Mark

Mark McShane

Post by Mark McShane » 09 Oct 2007, 19:01

Another one,

16.09.39 U 27 sinks the trawler Rudyard Kipling. All the trawlers crew were taken onboard the U 27 and their lifeboats taken in tow. They were given food and warm clothing, when five miles from land (does not say where) the tralwer crew were put back in their lifeboats and set off for the coast. UBoat comander was Franz.

regards,

Mark

Peter
Financial supporter

Re: Humanitarian treatment by U-boats

Post by Peter » 18 Aug 2009, 13:05

I have read of many in the survivors reports at the National Archives in London and in "Survivors" by GH Bennett and "U-boats in Action" by Bodo Herzog, here are some of the instances of assistance to survivors

U 47 (Prien) survivors of ship Bosnia
U 48 (Schulze) survivors of Winkleigh, Firby and other ships.
U 34 (Rollmann) survivors of Pukkhastan
U 38 (Liebe) survivors of Inverliffey
U 30 (Lemp) survivors of Blairlogie
U 29 (Schuhart) survivors of British Influence
U 99 (Kretschmer) survivors of Baron Blythswood
U 155 (Piening) survivors of Empire Arnold
U 156 (Hartenstein) survivors of Barrdale, Laconia and others
U 161 (Achilles) survivors of St.Usk, Ripley and others
U 172 (Emmermann) survivors of Llandilo, Fort Chilcotin and others
U 159 (Witte) survivors of Star of Scotland and East Wales
U 124 (Schulz) survivors of Tweed and others.

CHURCHILL stood up in parliament on 29 Sep 1940 to commend the humanity of the commander of U 48 (Schulze) for his treatment of survivors.

u-502

Re: Humanitarian treatment by U-boats

Post by u-502 » 12 Jan 2011, 20:48

Hello U-Boot Fans,

Yes, years ago as I was doing some research on my Great Uncle (Kapt. Jürgen von Rosenstiel U 502) I contacted a lady who's Grand Father was on board of one of the Liberty ships that my great Uncle had sunk, but unfortunately did not survive. This kind lady forwarded me copies of sworn affidavits that she got from the US Archives from 2 survivors that my Great Uncle took aboard gave them dry clothes food water a compass and a raft and told them in what direction to go. In the sworn affidavit the survivors stated how well my Great Uncle spoke english and how tall he was which I believe was 6'4" to 6"6" which considering the size of the boat would have made for a very tight fit.
Hello U-Boot Fans,

I am trying to gather as much information about my Great Uncle Kapt. Juergen Von Rosenstiel of U-502.
I was wondering if he ever did receive a Ritterkreuz even if it was Posthumously.

Chris Von Rosenstiel

Return to “U-Boats”