Need help on pictures of U-Boat men interned in Changi Priso

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Ibrahim Ahmad

Need help on pictures of U-Boat men interned in Changi Priso

Post by Ibrahim Ahmad » 12 Nov 2007, 07:28

Hi everyone,

As some of you might know , im currently researching & making a website about the Monsun U-Boats (german submarines) that went to south east asia during WW2. Well, after the war, quite a high number of them were interned by the British in the infamous Changi Prison. Please see here http://www.changimuseum.com/

I made a recent visit to the museum there , and met the current manager of the place, Mr Simon Goh. He was very interested in my research and was quite surprised to know that the prison was also used to house German inmates. Believe me, in our history textbooks , when u read about singapore during WW2, you'll read about the Japanese but absolutely nothing about the German submarine operations that were conducted here Image

Anyway, he told me he would really appreciate it if i could provide him with more pictures of the uboat men who were interned there. I showed him 3 pictures taken from the book "Shooting the War, The Memoir and Photographs of a U-Boat Officer in World War II, by Otto Giese and James E. Wise. Jr". Please see below.

If any of you have pictures similar to the ones below, please do contact me. Image
Thank You.

Shown below is the location where the above picture was taken.

Cheers,
Ibrahim,
Singapore.

Edward L. Hsiao

Re: Need help on pictures of U-Boat men interned in Changi Priso

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 25 Jul 2019, 09:09

Thank you for these pictures. Seems to me that these Germans were trying to live it up as best as they could after WWII in captivity in that prison.

Edward L. Hsiao

Return to “U-Boats”