some questions about the type VII-C.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
bad karma

some questions about the type VII-C.

Post by bad karma » 19 Oct 2008 10:39

Dear folks,

Currently Iam working on the Revell 1/72 type VII-C,U-201.I really like this build,great P.E. parts are available for this
boat so I am trying to build her accurate as possible.But there are a few questions I would like to ask in this thread.

Here you see a picture of U-69 lies in a drydock,you see the two bumps on the hull,I have circle around, and I have absolutly
no clue what they are for and what they do????And what the reason is for these two bumps.

Here you see some pictures of the U-995 at Laboe,and something gave my attention.In these floodholes areas you see some hatches,
is this common with all the type`s VII,or just only on the U-995 ?????????.

I hope that some one can shed some light on these two questions.

my best regards,
Ron.

Takao

Re: some questions about the type VII-C.

Post by Takao » 19 Oct 2008 19:22

I gone through my copy of AJ Press's "U-Boot Type VII Vol.1 and have drawn a blank on both questions.

What I can add to question 1, the covers were present on all Type VIIs that I have seen . They appear to be coverings for some kind of vent or exhaust. The were present on both port and starboard sides.

However, if there is a member who has a copy of the "Anatomy of the Ship: Type VII U-Boat" by David Westwood, they might be able to shed some light on your questions.
or you can purchase the book yourself, here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Type-VII-U-Boat-A ... 1591148863

pzrwest

Post by pzrwest » 20 Oct 2008 01:42

I spoke to my uboot vet friend Edgar about the hatches on the underside for and aft and he explainded to me that the forward and aft flood tanks were open to the sea on their bottoms and and control was through valves at the top which allowed the air to escape and water to rise in the tanks. Now the hatches were there to gain access to the for and aft tanks when in dry dock for cleaning and removal of rust and for repainting the interior of the tanks.

bad karma

Post by bad karma » 21 Oct 2008 16:47

Gentlemen,

In these two ''bumps''I can`t see any holes,so the exhaust or vent theory seems to be impossible,that is what I can make of it .I have got a huge collection
of books and PDF files and in those books not even ONE word about these bumps.

In the book of David Westwood you some execelent drawings of the type VII-C,also you can clearly see the two bumps,but no discription
of what they are.Here you see a similar drawing and this comes from the book called''Conway U-boats-History,development and equipment 1914-45,

Here are some pictures of different types VII,

Here you see the U 35 type VII-A,and this type has NOT these bumps,

The pictures says this is U 47 type VII-B,but I have my doubts,

Here you see some pictures of different type`s VII-C`s,

Unnkown U-nr`s,

U 431,

U 404,

U 54,15 Aug 1939,

U 94,summer 1940,

And this is the U 1060 type VII-F,

Conclusion,only the type VII-A and the type VII-C41 has not these bumps.

But here are two pictures,

U 471,

U 1105,

Please let me know what you think of it. Take care and good luck.
my best regards,
Ron.

tigre

Post by tigre » 22 Jan 2019 22:40

Hello to all :D; a complement...................................

Those two ''bumps''.............

Those fairing (protuberances) cover two holes or openings practiced to each of the bands (Port and Starboard) that regulate the internal pressure of the torpedo tubes, so that this pressure is equal to that at the depth to which the torpedoes are launched. Because if the pressure inside the torpedo tube is not regulated, the hydrostatic plate receives a higher pressure than the one that is outside, at the moment of the shot, by the effect of the compressed air and the said plate interprets due to the pressure that the torpedo is deeper than the real one.

Source: http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/for ... 228#p25228

Cheers. Raúl M 8-).

Return to “U-Boats”