U 320 history - Boat, Crew, Cargo and Loss position

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
gtangen

U 320 history - Boat, Crew, Cargo and Loss position

Post by gtangen » 01 Dec 2012, 17:26

Hi!

I have for some years tried to collect information about the German Submarine U 320 - especially the history regarding U 320's 2nd patrol ending in scuttling of the boat west of Bergen.

Still I am in lack of many details about U 320 and its last patrol, but hopefully members of Axis History Forum have and can share some of these details with me.

Search on the Internet, in US National Archives and Deutsches U-Boot Archive in Cuxhaven-Altenbruch, has not given me all needed details about U 320.

Therefore i am still seeking for;
* KTB for U 320
* Cargo list for 2nd Patrol
* Ammunition load for 2nd Patrol
* Crew member list for 2nd Patrol
* Crew members from 2nd Patrol who may still be alive
* Loss position (not the site of attack by Bristish aircraft - 61.32N, 01.53E)
* Crew members arrested and detained in Norway May 1945
* Pictures of U 320 and Crew members
* Links to articles, books or archives with information related to U 320

In forward thanks!

Regards
Gtangen :)

Ste

Re: U 320 history - Boat, Crew, Cargo and Loss position

Post by Ste » 01 Dec 2012, 20:55

gtangen

Post by gtangen » 02 Dec 2012, 01:31

Hi Ste and thanks for the links, :)

Yes, I've looked into these two sites earlier.
The sites gives me some information about the boat and the crew, but it seems quite difficult to find the last pieces in the historical puzzle.
Especially the loss position seems to be a mysterious part of the U 320 history.

I know that the crew from the submarine landed about 80 Nautical Miles (NM) south of the place where it was attacked and damaged by a Catalina using depth charges on May 8th, 1945 at position 61°32'N-01°53'E.
I have never seen information about the actual loss position for U 320 - a loss position which obviously must be at a long distance from 61°32'N-01°53'E.
A year ago I met an eyewitness to the landing of the crew from U 320, so the landing part of the history i have confidence in.
I am now in a process of using meteorological data to calculate where the possible loss position can be, based on the fact that the crew said to have used 8-9 hours in their rubber rafts from U 320 to the coast where they landed.

The eyewitness have told me that the crew splitted up and landed on two separate places on the coast, with an approximately distance of 5.5 NM between the two sites. When landing had taken place, both group of crews used binoculars and tried to spot the other landed crew group.
Both group of crew was thereafter picked up by a vessel (likely to have been a German minesweeper) that brought them to detention and arrest.

Best regards
Gtangen
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 02 Dec 2012, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct is "U 320" - not "U-320"

oleib

Post by oleib » 14 Oct 2020, 12:16

Hi

I know it has been a couple of years, Im part of a group from Bergen who is currently researching this. Please contact me if you are interested in comparing notes.

mvh

Ole

Return to “U-Boats”