Antartica Sub Base Project

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Antartica_Ice5

Antartica Sub Base Project

Post by Antartica_Ice5 » 04 Feb 2013, 01:20

Hello,

I know this is a subject that many find absurd and impossible however I do believe there could have been a sub base there. I have been doing lots of research on the subject and I did hear a very interesting story from an 83 year old Marine.

I am a WWII Memorabilia Collector and I met the old Marine who had a very large collection, like bigger than most Museums could boast, in a value of at least a million or more. I asked him if he had ever heard the story about the Antartic sub base. He told me 5 years ago a man came to him who had german documents of the sub base along with a list of items that were brought there. The man was looking for investors to back him and had a submarine lined up to make the trip. Now the marine didn't have an interest and I believe his expedition never went through.

So I have spent a lot of time trying to find information and any documentation of the sub base and I am organizing a team of people who would be interested in a expedition or a research group.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!

phylo_roadking

Re: Antartica Sub Base Project

Post by phylo_roadking » 04 Feb 2013, 04:00

and I am organizing a team of people who would be interested in a expedition or a research group.
Preferably monied, eh?
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 04 Feb 2013, 04:30

Phylo... thanks for the link here :wink:

Antartica_Ice5 ... So, uh, can you provide a few more details. What is the general area of this submarine base, or its specific location? Any idea of its size & components?

Antartica_Ice5

Post by Antartica_Ice5 » 04 Feb 2013, 06:19

Gentleman,

Money is not an issue at this point. Once I have a solid story and plan I will seek investors. I am looking for like minded individuals who would have the drive and passion for such an endeavor. As far as the location and general area of the sub base there a couple of possible locations however I do wish to only share my research with my team members once such a team is formed completely. I have a partner who shares the same passion as me for this and we are seeking people who feel the same. I have spent a lot of time collecting any U-Boat and Kriegsmarine maps and documents to support the search and have come across some pretty cool stuff. Hope that helps you understand.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 04 Feb 2013, 18:05

Hope that helps you understand.
I can honestly say - yes it does :D It really does.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 23 Jun 2013, 05:01

This is a like-minded group:

http://www.sharkhunters.com/

amiklic1

Post by amiklic1 » 23 Jul 2013, 22:04

Curious George wrote:This is a like-minded group:

http://www.sharkhunters.com/
I wouldn't say so, even if I am a member.

I am a U-boat collector and I am willing to participate in this expedition if it will be prepared as it deserves.
I live in Europe (Croatia).

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 24 Jul 2013, 01:30

In December 1940 the raider Atlantis holed up at Port Couvreux (49°16'49.25"S, 69°41'19.26"E) in the Kerguelen islands, about 1000 NM north of Antarctica, to refill with water, do some work on its engines, etc. It is unlikely, but perhaps just possible, that some other hideaway near Antarctica (it's not spelled "Antartica", by the way) or maybe even on its coast was briefly used at some point as a U-Boat rendez-vous, refueling point or something of the sort, and maybe the crew went ashore and left some evidence of their visit. But it is indeed absurd to suppose that the Germans had a full-fledged base in Antarctica. It would be impossible to hide, impossible to defend, impossible to keep supplied and too far away from Allied shipping lanes to be of operational value. Furthermore, if there had been such a base and it had somehow escaped Allied notice during the war, it would have come to light long before now and everyone would know all about it. To put it another way, if it was a bit wacky to look for intact buried Spitfires in Burma it would be absolutely insane to look for U-Boat bases in Antarctica.

By the way, regarding the statement that "The man was looking for investors to back him and had a submarine lined up to make the trip.", why would one need a submarine to find the alleged Antarctic base?

Rob

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 24 Jul 2013, 12:21

Do we not have a mythology subforum?
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “U-Boats”