German U-Boat Crews Going Ashore in the US?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Gustav_SC

German U-Boat Crews Going Ashore in the US?

Post by Gustav_SC » 20 Nov 2015, 18:46

I do not doubt this topic has been discussed before and I apologize for creating a new post. However, my attempts to search the forum for it have not been successful since it could be described in so many ways.

So, I ask two things:

1. Please direct me to any previous post about this if you know of it so that I don't waste anyone's time.

2. I am a native of Charleston, SC where rumors persist to this day of U-Boat sailors coming ashore and being entertained by sympathizers. I am no U-Boat expert but I am fairly well-read on the Battle of the Atlantic and the discipline of the U-Boat crews is very obvious. I do not think a captain would risk his boat for something so frivolous. Note - I am not referring to the landing of spies on the US mainland, which is well documented. Am I right or wrong?

THANKS!

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: German U-Boat Crews Going Ashore in the US?

Post by John G. » 23 Nov 2015, 11:17

Pure "folklore" (B.S. story)... but typical (Local story is U-Boat entered Portsmouth Harbor and took pictures of the Navy Yard there).

There were instances where U-Boats landed shore parties to leave seriously wounded crew members on French controled Islands in the Caribbean area...for medical care...but not for "partying"...
John G.

Gustav_SC

Post by Gustav_SC » 30 Nov 2015, 22:29

John G - 100% agreed. The people that "know" these things, though, just can't be convinced otherwise because their grandmother told them it was true. So, I give up on them.

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 14 Dec 2015, 17:12

Except for some spies who were landed in 1942 and 1944. The only time a U-boat crew land on the coast on North America during WW II was in 1943 when a U-boat landing party landed and set up a automatic weather reporting machine that soon broke down and is now in a Canadian museum. This has been mentioned on this site somewhere. I can't remember the number of the boat.

There was I believe at least one time where survivors of a U-boat that was sunk were landed at Charleston during WW II. I can't remember the number of the boat.

mark harrison

Post by mark harrison » 14 Dec 2015, 21:46

Hi-That would be U 352.

regards MH.

SAJ

Post by SAJ » 20 May 2017, 15:49

Agreed, folklore..... I was born and raised in Wilmington North Carolina which is directly on the coast. To this day there are rumors that a U boat surfaced off the coast and put a rubber dinghy ashore to scavange for food. Lore has it that the Germans traded chocolate for fresh bread. Stories,,, all stories.

s3bpilot

Post by s3bpilot » 22 May 2017, 01:58

Hi All, the mining mission by U 455 is about as close as U-boats got to Charleston. You can read the KTB here http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-455/KTB455-4.htm Jerry

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 22 May 2017, 14:28

hi,
John G. wrote:There were instances where U-Boats landed shore parties to leave seriously wounded crew members on French controled Islands in the Caribbean area...for medical care...but not for "partying"... John G.
I know of one incident, only : That was U 156 - of later LACONIA fame - putting ashore the 2nd WO after he had lost a leg in an abandoned gunnery attack on the refinery of Aruba (the gun barrel exploded as one had forgotten to remove the tampion before firing)

greetings, the pb
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

Return to “U-Boats”