first U-Boat to surrender

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
The Duck

first U-Boat to surrender

Post by The Duck » 11 Mar 2017, 22:07

Hi all, back again with new questions.

Which U-Boat was first to surrender at the end of WW2?
Does anyone have a crew list?
What happened to the crew?
Any other details please.
Best wishes. The Duck

The Duck

Re: first U-Boat to surrender

Post by The Duck » 11 Mar 2017, 22:20

Further to my post;
I think I'm looking at U 1009

mark harrison

Post by mark harrison » 12 Mar 2017, 04:05

Hi according to records first surrenders occurred in Helgoland on the 5th of May 1945.

regards M h.

Derek Waller

Post by Derek Waller » 13 Mar 2017, 11:11

In answer to your question, and as a starter for 10, its all a matter of definition.
This is because there were two surrender instructions.
The first in relation to the Montgomery surrender in NW Germany and Denmark. The second in relation to the general capitulation.
As a result of the Montgomery surrender, 19 U-Boats surrendered in port on 5 May (7 in Helgoland, 8 in Cuxhaven, 1 in Flensburg and 3 in Baring Bay, Denmark). Also 2 surrendered from sea (1 in Aarhus, Denmark on 6 May and 1 in Cuxhaven on 8 May).
As a result of the general capitulation, 88 U-Boats surrendered in port on 9 May (87 in Norway and 1 in France).
A further 15 U-Boats surrendered either at or from sea on 9 May, of which only 6 arrived in an Allied or Allied-controlled port on 9 May. I suspect that your question relates to those U-Boats which surrendered at or from sea on 9 May as a result of the general capitulation orders and, if so, its then a matter of working out the time at which each U-Boat either sent its initial "Position, Course, Speed" (PCS) message or arrived in port unannounced on 9 May. Personally I think that we are both looking at U 1009, but please define the baseline of your question before we go further.
Hope this helps.

Yours aye,
Derek.

The Duck

Post by The Duck » 13 Mar 2017, 21:09

Mark, thank you for your reply.

The Duck

Post by The Duck » 13 Mar 2017, 21:17

Hello Derek.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it's me again and still looking for answers.
We emailed some time ago on the subject of Hans Harder and U 953.
As you are aware, I was given information that led me on a wild goose chase, looking at U 953 when Hans was actually on U 1009.
I have been looking for further info and so far not had any luck so I thought I would come back to this forum and hopefully jog some memories or find new members with info.
All information is appreciated, even if I may already have it.
Thanks all in anticipation.
The Duck.

Derek Waller

Post by Derek Waller » 14 Mar 2017, 18:34

Ah, I now understand where you are coming from.

U 1009 was the first U-Boat to surrender at a British collection point (Loch Eriboll), having sent its first PCS message at 1200B on 9 May.

It was not however the first to send a PCS message - that was U 1105 (at 0907B on 9 May).

As you say, we have been round this buoy before and I have already tried hard to help you, albeit to no avail, so I think that I will now bow out of this query.

Good luck with your further U 1009-related research, though I somehow doubt that you will find much more than I provided earlier.

Yours aye,

Derek.

The Duck

Post by The Duck » 15 Mar 2017, 23:04

Derek, thank you for your reply.
As you say, we've been at this for a while.
I very much appreciate all the hard work you have contributed in this matter.
I realise I am shooting in the dark here.
As I mentioned in my last post, I am hoping new visitors to the site may have be able to shed new light on the subject.
Such a pity I didn't ask the questions to my uncle before he died.
Once again Derek, thank you for all your effort.
Best wishes.
P.J.

Return to “U-Boats”