Insect emblem of U 581

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Losgehts

Insect emblem of U 581

Post by Losgehts » 26 Jan 2020 00:04

Since the official emblem of U 581 entails a six legged critter I started wondering as to exactly which entomological creature adorned the conning tower of this submarine. Georg Högel's book says, in so many words, that "(since it was a training boat) this little creature took care of the whole crew". Which made me think: was this creature a pubic lice? It, according to images I found, certainly has some characteristics of it. Perhaps the part "took care of the whole crew" wasn't quite meant sarcastic and was truly intended to mean "good luck" instead, but If so I can't explain away the "since it was a training boat" - the crew was stationed at shore all the time. I am serious in my research, yet I can't blame a sound of mind reader thinking the direct opposite in this particular case. My German isn't that great but perhaps some books in that language might contain allusions to my or anyone else's explanation. Thanks in advance for all the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Losgehts on 26 Jan 2020 23:22, edited 2 times in total.

Max

Re: Insect emblem of U 581

Post by Max » 26 Jan 2020 06:01

Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Losgehts

Post by Losgehts » 14 Mar 2020 23:54

I don't see how your reply answers my question, Max. Maybe you forced my eyes and nose to the answer, but I can't read it.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 15 Mar 2020 03:41

Maybe this will help
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_louse

Waleed

Max

Post by Max » 15 Mar 2020 04:46

In mid-December, U 581 was ready to go into action. It was assigned to the 7th U-flotilla. Beside the emblem of the 7th U-Flotilla, the bull of Scapa Flow, U 581 wore a crab louse as a special boat emblem. During the construction instruction period at Blohm & Voss, the Chief Engineer and a considerable part of the crew were infested by them.
http://dubm.de/en/the-history-of-u-581/
Which made me think: was this creature a pubic lice?

You are correct, crab lice are pubic lice.
"since it was a training boat"
seems not to be accurate.
U 581 did go through a training phase [sea trials] but later went on patrol, attacked and sank shipping and was itself sunk by British destroyers.
As to the crew was stationed at shore all the time. - it is obvious that the crew were not on shore all the time. However they were stationed on shore while U 581 was under construction and it was during this time that the crew contracted crab lice.
I hope that this is clearer.
I don't understand the reference to " Good Luck"

Cheers

Max
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Return to “U-Boats”