U 65 and the SS Champlain June 1940

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
stevebecker

U 65 and the SS Champlain June 1940

Post by stevebecker » 14 May 2020, 23:42

Mates,

What part did or did not, the U 65 have in the sinking of this ship?

comments (Wiki and others) all say;

"On 17 June 1940, the liner struck a German air-laid mine while swinging at anchor in the waters off La Pallice, France, near Île de Ré, and quickly heeled over on her side.

A few days later the German submarine U 65 fired a torpedo into the hulk –– possibly to finish her off, as much of the ship lay above water level. Many sources quote a wire service report from 1940 that as many as 300 lives were lost but this is erroneous. Although there were many injuries there were only 11 or 12 fatalities. She was one of the largest ships sunk in World War II. Her wreck lay quite visible for over twenty years and was eventually scrapped in 1965."

I U Boat site makes mention of this attack as;

"According to the KTB of U 65, they sighted a big steamer, identified as Champlain (28.124 grt), at 5.45 hours, which was shadowed until 7.35 hours, when the U-boat lost contact in fog. A short time later the ship was sighted again and attacked with a spread of three torpedoes at 8.17 hours.
Allied sources reports that the Champlain went to the bottom after being damaged by an air laid magnetic mine off La Pallice at 09.30 hours on 17 June. In knowledge of these sources, the torpedo report of U 65 claims the Champlain as his own success, but date, time and position are well fitting with the loss of the Berenice."

So the U 65 appears not to be near the Champlain to fire at the ship, as it was sinking another ship (Dutch ship "Berenice") in the Bay of Biscay.

Cheers

S.B

larryroeder

Re: U 65 and the SS Champlain June 1940

Post by larryroeder » 19 Jun 2023, 21:35

Dear Steve, while the ship was being destroyed my cousin was in a bunker not far away being bombed. She was an American volunteer Ambulance Driv er moving the wounded to trains and I assume to the Champlain, so they could be sailed to America. Do you know where the French bunkers were located?

Peter
Financial supporter

Re: U 65 and the SS Champlain June 1940

Post by Peter » 19 Jul 2023, 14:37

Hi Larry
Steve hasn't visited the forum for nearly a month, it may work best if you send him a PM
Peter

Return to “U-Boats”