U-453's "Micky Maus or Steamboat Willy" connection

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Losgehts

U-453's "Micky Maus or Steamboat Willy" connection

Post by Losgehts » 25 Jan 2021, 02:32

Image[/img]
Attachments
Hogel Board 1.png
Hogel Board 1.png (506.71 KiB) Viewed 6592 times
"Georg Högel Board" 3.png
"Georg Högel Board" 3.png (551.47 KiB) Viewed 6592 times
u453 vraag.png

Losgehts

Re: U-453's "Micky Maus or Steamboat Willy" connection

Post by Losgehts » 25 Jan 2021, 02:34

good day dear readers,

not long ago I ran into a collection of very authentic looking u-boat cap badges, all carefully pinned down on a red velvet display, which I'll call the "Högel-board" (see attached picture) from here on in. Thomas Huss militaria, among others, is currently selling that collection. Initially the whole lot was up for sale on German Ebay (kleinanzeigen) for the token price of €4800 and if only I had the money back then I would surely have bought it right there on the spot. Fortunately, due to some kind of coincidence, I, the evergreen deadbeat, was able to buy the one cap badge from within that amazing collection I had set my eyes and mind on from the very start: mickey mouse badge. :D Not that I'm a great Disney-lover, quite the contrary, but the image of the badge must have jogged my memory in such an impressing way that I could not let go of it and just had to have it. I had seen it (at least the silhouette of it) somewhere before. Sure, I took a risk there buying it, for, after all, who is to say that those badges are the "The real McCoy"? But the story behind any (antique) object is more important to me than its monetary value that it holds at any given moment. Which brings me to the following: what is the connection between Mickey Mouse and U-453? Was the context here actually merely about a stuffed animal? If one look closely, the visor cap of "Kaleun" Von Schlippenbach in the picture is actually more likely showing a girly doll than a mickey mouse character - so, could anyone elaborate on the true meaning behind this emblem?

oldhoweboy

Re: U-453's "Micky Maus or Steamboat Willy" connection

Post by oldhoweboy » 28 Jan 2021, 17:44

NICKNAME OF BOAT AT POLA

"MICKEY" (Nickname of Engineer Officer). ???????
Absentineto a fabis!
Stay away from the beans

Return to “U-Boats”