I.D. CHECK PLEASE

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Brokeneagle63

I.D. CHECK PLEASE

Post by Brokeneagle63 » 15 Apr 2022, 14:50

I only have 2 photos of U1108 and I am wanting to confirm if this boat has a snorkel, an Askania compass housing and any life raft canisters on the foredeck. On Uboat.net the records state that this boat does not have a snorkel fitted but in the photo of the Uboats surrendered at Horten, U1108 looks like it has a typical 7C snorkel brace sticking out from the side of the Tower (dark shape at the front left).
Can any body confirm any of these details please.

Brokeneagle
Attachments
1108 web.jpg
U1108.JPG

lionfish

Re: I.D. CHECK PLEASE

Post by lionfish » 16 Apr 2022, 03:49

Hello Brokeneagle63,

Yes for the snorkel but without the induction pipe. The snorkel head could be the same as U 1109 but without a picture it's impossible to confirm that. No life raft canister on the foredeck but a metal plate.
If the snorkel isn't on the uboat.net list, Maybe it was fitted before the commissioning.
The compass housing is an Askania indeed.

Best regards,
Lionfish.

Brokeneagle63

Re: I.D. CHECK PLEASE

Post by Brokeneagle63 » 17 Apr 2022, 07:29

Thank you again Lionfish, you have helped me a number times now and I really appreciate the info. I have been trying to find those details for ages.
:-)
As I said on my other post, if you have any additional photos I would love to see them. :-)

Return to “U-Boats”