Need info on U 542! + Scary Ouija story!

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Corporal Punishment

Need info on U 542! + Scary Ouija story!

Post by Corporal Punishment » 30 Mar 2004, 21:55

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I realize this is going to come across a bit strange, probably because it is, but recently some friends and I got REALLY bored over spring break and decided to pick up a ouija board. I, suspicious it would work, was soon amazed that in actuality the board really could speak with the dead.

Anyways, the reason I bring this up is because we came in contact with a fellow who had fought for Germany during the war aboard the U 542. I believe the board is real because everything he told us (destroyed in 1943, met its fate from a British Wellington, 38 (? don't remember number) men being aboard ship and all being lost... etc) was completely true as I researched a bit into it.

The only problem I encountered was the extent of the information I could find only included where it was sunk, who sunk it, how many men were aboard and the commander... well I was already told these things and found them to be true, however I am looking to see if I can actually find the man that was aboard the ship, he claimed to be 34 years of age and I can only assume that the chances are good he may have been the only one of that age on the ship.

Any more information one may find about this U-boat would be greatly appreciated, and hope you enjoyed the story!

TL

U 542

Post by TL » 31 Mar 2004, 11:55

Hi there "CP"!

A spooky story indeed...but there seems to be a bit of a problem.

The oldest person aboard 542 at the time of its sinking by the Wellington seems to have been just 24 years old. Anyway, this is the case according to the crewlist (56 people) compiled by Hubertus Weggelaar and found in e.g. http://www.ubootwaffe.net

You need to ask your man a few more questions. I just hope you won't end up needing an exorcist!

TL

Corporal Punishment

Re: U 542

Post by Corporal Punishment » 31 Mar 2004, 22:14

TL wrote:Hi there "CP"!

A spooky story indeed...but there seems to be a bit of a problem.

The oldest person aboard 542 at the time of its sinking by the Wellington seems to have been just 24 years old. Anyway, this is the case according to the crewlist (56 people) compiled by Hubertus Weggelaar and found in e.g. http://www.ubootwaffe.net

You need to ask your man a few more questions. I just hope you won't end up needing an exorcist!

TL
Wow that's interesting... perhaps the planchette was on the 2 and not the 3, sometimes it can be confusing like that.

That site is great though I feel perhaps several names may have been left off as the webmaster mentions towards the bottom that all in all there are thousounds of names left to be added, so maybe it's possible that my guy just wasn't added yet or something

thanks for the site too it's really great! perhaps in may come in handy again as my German friend seems to summon many German spirits 8O

And all we can do then is pray that priests don't charge too much nowadays for exorcisms.

TL

U 542

Post by TL » 01 Apr 2004, 11:42

Hello again

Your observations may well be true, but seeing as the boat had been commissioned only recently and was sunk on its first active patrol, confusion with the number and identities of the crew members that went down to "Davy Jones's locker" does not seem too likely. Besides, the number of hands (56) seems also to imply that all of the men were accounted for by Hubertus.

Anyway, this is no reason to stop looking though...

TL

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 02 Apr 2004, 04:07

Sounds like one of your friends thought he knew enough about U 542 to make the session convincing. Once tried a Ouija board with my sisters. Turns out my younger sister, age 7 at the time, was going to marry the actor Charles Boyer. Much fun, but you have to learn to play along ;)

Return to “U-Boats”