Just found out something real interesting.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Wolfensteiner

Just found out something real interesting.

Post by Wolfensteiner » 27 Jul 2004, 13:15

I was just on the phone to my grandfather who served in the Royal Australian Navy in WW2 and he told me about how is father (my great grandfather) sunk a U-Boat in WW1 called U68 and he said a Admiral Donitz (im not sure if that was his rank then) Admiral Donitz was the captain of the U boat. It was sunk on the 8th of October 1918 (if i heard correctly)

The U-Boat was fired upon by HMS Queensland but was then rammed after re-surfacing by the HMS Snapdragon. My great grandfather was the current captain at the time or something. Then they took all the crew who escaped from the U-Boat after it was sinking for a second time. Because there was no room in the small boat (I cant remember what type of class the boat was it was named after a flower) there was no room so he had to put Donitz in the toilets to keep him prisoner. He was later court martialed for it but didn't get into much trouble.

Has anyone heard about this case?
I have alot of offical documents about it if anyone is interested ill try and get hold of.

And Donitz later became the boss of the German Navy in WW2 did he?

Thanks for reading.
-Steven

Wolfensteiner

Post by Wolfensteiner » 27 Jul 2004, 13:28

I found a picture of him on U68 but still havent found any details of the exact incident
Attachments
Donitz-U68.JPG
Donitz-U68.JPG (28.81 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

Necros

Post by Necros » 27 Jul 2004, 13:46

You might be able to find some more information here:

UB 68 - Uboat.net
Karl Dönitz - Uboat.net
More information Karl Dönitz - Uboat.net

/Mikael Sundholm

Return to “U-Boats”