Uboats in Galveston Bay

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Jeremy Scott

Uboats in Galveston Bay

Post by Jeremy Scott » 13 Jan 2005 03:40

Ive had read several old newspaper accounts that the U-boats had several operational patrols off of Galveston Texas in early 41-42. Can someone ee if they were for dropping off spies or if they were convoy attacks. I know there were quite a few single ship sinkings but am unaware of convoy attacks

Texas Kubelwagen

Re: Uboats in Galveston Bay

Post by Texas Kubelwagen » 24 Jul 2005 02:11

Jeremy Scott wrote:Ive had read several old newspaper accounts that the U-boats had several operational patrols off of Galveston Texas in early 41-42. Can someone ee if they were for dropping off spies or if they were convoy attacks. I know there were quite a few single ship sinkings but am unaware of convoy attacks
According to the book "Torpedoes in the Gulf: Galveston and the U-Boats 1942-43" there were mostly attacks on single ships; I don't recall it mentioning spies beyond the typical paranoia exhibited by the civilians on shore.

The book gives a pretty good account of the Kriegsmarine's U-boat efforts in that part of the world - I'd recommend it for anyone with that interest. While buying graduation apparel at my university's book store I just happened to glance at the History section and saw it sitting there - what luck. Here's some more info on that book:

ISBN 0890966486
Texas A&M University Press, 1995

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

Enjoy

TK

Return to “U-Boats”