Tour a German U-Boat

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Richard Miller

Tour a German U-Boat

Post by Richard Miller » 04 Sep 2002, 17:37

Many people may not be aware that there is an intact German U Boat on display in Chicago, IL USA
The US Navy captured the U-505 in 1944, and it was kept hidden in Bermuda until the end of the war.
It is currently on display at the Museum of Science and Industry,and is open to visitors year ‘round.
There is a website dedicated to the U-505 with a photo and VR tour of the interior and exterior of the ship.
http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/U505tour.html

Ships from the USS Gaudalcanal Task Force attacking the U-505 with depth charges shortly before her capture.

The USS Guadalcanal pulls along side of the stricken U-505 in June 1944

The U-505 on display

Kim

Post by Kim » 05 Sep 2002, 07:29

Yes,indeed. The Museum spent lots of money on the restoration.The website that member Richard Miller provided is where to go until you can get to Chicago,Illinois,USA,and see the real U-505. The site is a fine "virtual tour" of this unterseeboot. In the next few days I will post a small, picture of the U-505 signed by Hans Goebeler,that I have ,who tried to scuttle the U-boot before it was boarded and captured. Kim

Richard Miller

Post by Richard Miller » 05 Sep 2002, 13:35

Kim wrote:Yes,indeed. The Museum spent lots of money on the restoration.The website that member Richard Miller provided is where to go until you can get to Chicago,Illinois,USA,and see the real U-505. The site is a fine "virtual tour" of this unterseeboot. In the next few days I will post a small, picture of the U-505 signed by Hans Goebeler,that I have ,who tried to scuttle the U-boot before it was boarded and captured. Kim
U-Boat.net also provides extensive information on the U-505.
http://uboat.net/boats/u505.htm

Another fascinating fact is the suicide of then Commander Peter Zschech in the control room.

Return to “U-Boats”