Latvian submarines

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
e.polis

Latvian submarines

Post by e.polis » 30 Mar 2005, 09:42

I have seen photos of two submarines that were in the Latvian Navy just prior to WW2, what happened to them and their crews during WW2, did they become part of the German navy or were they impressed into the Soviet navy or were they destroyed. To take this enquiry a stage further what happend to to other naval vessels and their crews. I suppose this question could also be applicable to the other Baltic states as well.

Tiornu

Re: Latvian submarines

Post by Tiornu » 30 Mar 2005, 12:17

The ex-Latvian Ronis and Spidola had to be blown up by the retreating Soviets in 1941.
The ex-Estonian sub Lembit was quite successful in Soviet service, by Soviet standards. She was credited with sinking a U-boat (by accidental collision). She and her sister Kalev may both have sunk ships via mining. Kalev was a war loss.

nublu

Post by nublu » 30 Mar 2005, 12:46

Ronis and Spidola were sunked in Liepaja (Libau) harbour, to block it for German navy. I think they were late raised and cut to pieces.

From Estonian ships - Lembit was the lucky one and survived the war. It even survived until nowadays and is now on display in Tallinn.

AAA

Post by AAA » 30 Mar 2005, 20:00

The last commander of Ronis, Hugo Legzdiņš, only died just recently. A local character, he was still active in the Officer' Association as an elder statesman of moral authority after re-independence.

A short resume of his life (in Latvian) http://www.gramata21.lv/users/legzdins_hugo/ and the long version has been published in Latvian as : Hugo Legzdiņš „Ronis – mana būdiņa un pils: zemūdenes komandiera dzīvesstāsts”, Rīga, Latvijas mutvārdu vēstures pētnieku asociācija Dzīvesstāsts, 2002., 330 lpp.

Return to “U-Boats”