U-boat 247

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
Gate

U-boat 247

Post by Gate » 15 Sep 2005 20:37

Hi every 1!

So Im looking for information about the U-boat 247, I know where he sunk in english channel 1 september 1944, but what I need is the coordinaters and some story and pictures. So Im trying to get so much information about this.

1 of the reasen is that I had a realitive(familie) onboard.

He name was Co. Oblt Gerhard Maschulot

If some 1 have information, please contact me

Best regards

Gate.

Ron Klages
In memoriam

Some Information

Post by Ron Klages » 16 Sep 2005 19:49

Gate,

Check out this site. A great deal of information.

http://uboat.net/boats/

Also here is what the book German U-Boat Commanders of WW II by Rainer Busch and Hans-Joachim Röll has to say:
Gerhard Matschulat
born 25.5.1920, Berlin
Entry XI/1938: ObltzS 1.4.43
U-boat training completed 12/42
1WO on U 458 from 12/42 to 7/43
commanders course, 2.UAA and the 24th U-Flotilla 7/43 to 9/43 (U-commanders course 54)
Baubelehrung 1.KLA. 9/43 to 10/43
Commander U247 from 23.10.43 to 1.9.44
Lost 1.9.44 in English Channel off Land's End

Then from the book U-Boats Destroyed German Submarine Losses in the World War by Paul Kemp I find:

U 247
launched 23.9.43
commissioned 23.10.43
Type VIIC
Commander: Oblt z S Gerhard Matschulat
Date of loss: 1.9.44
49 degrees 54 minutes North
5 degrees 49 minutes West
Cause: depth charge
Casualities: 52
Survivors: none
Salvaged: no

EG 9 was patrolling the waters off Land's End when on 31 August it was ordered to move to the area off Trvose Head on the morth coast of Cornwall in response to a aircraft radar report.

At 1845Z, as the ships were passing Land's End, the Frigate St. John obtained a good contact 15 miles east of the Wolf Rock Light.

Monnow, Stormont and Meon were ordered north to pursue the search ordered by CibnC Plymouth, while St. Jihn, Swansea and Port Colborne remained to pursue the contact. Tide conditions made the contact difficult to hold, and after a number of depth-charge and Hedgehog attacks contact was lost just after 2300Z.

The group then set about sweeping across the likely path of the target, and at 0155Z St. John regained contact three miles from the Wolf Rock on the bottom in 42 fathoms.

The frigate then carried out two depth-charge attacks which produced oil and explosions from the target.

The next day, after a search of the area which produced nothing, EG9 returned to the oil slick. St John obtained an echo sounder trace which showed that the U-Boat was very heavily damaged.

At 1407Z, St. John dropped five depth charges on the target, directed by the echo sounder. This attack completely destroyed the U-boat.

Documents (including a certificate celebrating U 247s 10 millionth engine revolution), clothing, equipment and internal fittings came to the surface which were sufficient to identify the boat.

Then from the book Axis Submarine Successes 1939-1945 by Jürgen Rohwer I find the following:

The only victory by U 247 was:

5.July.44
sunk the British steam trawler Noreen Mary by gunfire sinking it at 58 degrees 30 minutes north and 5 degrees 23 minutes west. It was 207 tons

I also checked this book for U 458 victories that occurred when Gerhard Matschulat was the 1WO from 12/42 to 7/43 and the boat had no victories during this time. It had scored 3 victories prior to his coming aboard. It also appears that U 458 during the period he was aboard was serviving in the Mediterranean Sea where is was rammed and sunk by the British on 22 August 1943.

That is about all I could find regarding the subject.

I hope this data helps.

best regards,

Ron Klages

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 17 Sep 2005 00:24

5.July.44
sunk the British steam trawler Noreen Mary by gunfire sinking it at 58 degrees 30 minutes north and 5 degrees 23 minutes west. It was 207 tons
In addition from Clay Blair's 'Hitlers U-Boat War (The Hunted 1942-1945):-
In the late daylight hours U247 came across half a dozen armed fishing trawlers about 18miles west of Cape Wrath. Matschulat shot three torpedo's at her, but all missed or malfunctioned.....Matschulat surfaced and sank the trawler with his flak guns. The gunfire killed 6 men, 2 perished in the water and 2 survived..... Later one of the survivors accused Matschulat of shooting at him whilst he clung to the wreckage of a lifeboat.***
***= This accusation was introduced by the British at Donitz's trial at Nuremburg
Matschulat patrolled North Minch for another week without further success...arriving in Brest on July 27th....His flotilla CO approved the sinking of the trawler and praised Matschulat for his 'great offensive spirit & verve'

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 17 Sep 2005 00:31

Scrolldown to Part 2 of thethread below to read more about the attack U247 made on the trawler and the following testiment to a possible 'warcrime' accusation

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=14471

Regards

Andy H

philipp0408

Re: U-boat 247

Post by philipp0408 » 17 Sep 2005 12:35

Gate wrote:Hi every 1!

So Im looking for information about the U-boat 247, I know where he sunk in english channel 1 september 1944, but what I need is the coordinaters and some story and pictures. So Im trying to get so much information about this.

1 of the reasen is that I had a realitive(familie) onboard.

He name was Co. Oblt Gerhard Maschulot

If some 1 have information, please contact me

Best regards

Gate.
http://ubootwaffe.net/crews/crews.cgi?u ... oatnum=247

His name was Matschulat., not Maschulot

He was Crew38. Go on http://uboat.net/forum/index.php, there you should obtain more help. When Iam not mistaken, a member on this forum has contact to the Crew38 chairman, the crew where Matschulat was. Try to contact him in "general discussion" Maybe you get more help. His user name is Fregatte

Return to “U-Boats”