Polish Navy during Polish-Soviet War?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Hama

Polish Navy during Polish-Soviet War?

Post by Hama » 20 Feb 2017, 04:10

I'm no expert, but from the little I read it seems Poland established its Navy in 1918. This made me wonder did they have any role at all in the Polish-Soviet conflict of 1919-21?
Wikipedia claims that Poland received a handful of ex-German torpedo boats after independence, and the navy was put under the command of a Captain Bogumił Nowotny. I don't know anything else about this so it would be interesting if anyone here could share some information on what the Polish Navy was doing (if anything) during the war.

henryk

Re: Polish Navy during Polish-Soviet War?

Post by henryk » 20 Feb 2017, 21:52

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flotylla_ ... i_Wojennej
Google translation hopefully polished correctly (coments welcomed):
Riverine Flotilla of the Polish Navy (until 17 October 1931: Flotilla Pinsk)

The Creation of the Flotilla and the First Battle

Pinsk Flotilla was founded April 19, 1919, when the gen. Antoni Lisowski agreed that Jan Giedroyć form a reconnaissance patrol, in Pinsk, of three motorboats: Lech, Lisowczyk and Lizdejko . In mid 1919 years this branch took part in clashes with the Bolshevik fleet under the bridges Wolańskimi and Horodyszcze, where on July 3, 1919, three boats conducted a raid on the Yaselda River . Landing was carried out under heavy enemy fire and Horodyszcze awas captured, which then allowed the seizure of the important communication center, Luniniec . In memory of these events, July 3 was named River Flotilla Day, in the Second Republic.

During the year, the fleet included approximately 20 new vessels, including the steamer Bug and the ship Warta.

Flotilla in the Polish-Bolshevik War of 1920

In March 1920 the Flotilla took part in the capture of Mozyr where ships were taken from the Bolshevik Flotilla Dnieprzański. Then the Flotilla took part in the offensive against Kiev on April 27, leading the fighting in the region of Chernobyl to displace the Russians on the Dnieper . Then the Flotilla participated in the creation of bridgeheads on the left bank of the Dnieper in Kiev, and in the parade in the city. After the capture of new ships, the Flotilla Kijowska operated on the Dnieper. During the Soviet counteroffensive at the end of May, part of the Pinsk Flotilla was cut off from the main force, with the result that the crew sank their ships on June 13, 1920. The remaining units fought during the retreat on the waters of the Pripyat, but in part due to the low water level, were sunk in Pinsk and near Kochanowiczami . Flotilla disbanded 2 August 1920 because of the seizure of the Pripyat river basin by the Red Army and the sinking of most vessels.

crolick

Re: Polish Navy during Polish-Soviet War?

Post by crolick » 23 Apr 2017, 15:13

Hama - Polish Navy in the Baltic was non existent at the time. The torpedo boats arrived much later in 1921 and all were in very bad condition requiring a long refit. So none took action. In similar vain due to revolution Soviet Red Fleet was unable to sail and cut communication routes.

However indeed part of Polish Navy which was called Riverine Flotilla did fight the Russian during the war and had some achievements. Below you can read 2 wiki articles related to this subject:

page about Polish Riverine Flotilla - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverine_ ... olish_Navy
biggest victory was Battle of Chernobyl - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... byl_(1920)

Hope that helps!

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”