How much was the overpopulation problem in Poland alleviated by the migration of Poles to the Recovered Territories?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Futurist

How much was the overpopulation problem in Poland alleviated by the migration of Poles to the Recovered Territories?

Post by Futurist » 15 Sep 2020, 21:06

How much was the overpopulation problem in Poland alleviated by the migration of Poles to the Recovered Territories starting from 1945? wm previously mentioned that interwar Poland had a serious overpopulation problem and thus I was wondering if this problem was significantly alleviated by the out-migration of Poles from overpopulated central Poland to Poland's Recovered Territories after the end of World War II.

Any thoughts on this?

For reference, I know that a lot of the Poles who settled in the Recovered Territories came from the Kresy (eastern Poland), but many of them also came from overpopulated central Poland:

https://i.imgur.com/KHp7P3Q.png

wm

Re: How much was the overpopulation problem in Poland alleviated by the migration of Poles to the Recovered Territories?

Post by wm » 15 Sep 2020, 21:19

Well, the Nazis and the Soviets were excellent overpopulation problem solvers.
It wasn't just the killed but almost a million that fled the country and never returned.

Futurist

Re: How much was the overpopulation problem in Poland alleviated by the migration of Poles to the Recovered Territories?

Post by Futurist » 15 Sep 2020, 21:24

Where did this million end up? Primarily in the West? Or elsewhere?

wm

Post by wm » 15 Sep 2020, 22:48

Mostly the US, Canada, Australia.

wm

Post by wm » 15 Sep 2020, 22:48

Mostly the US, Canada, Australia.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 15 Sep 2020, 22:53

Very few to the Soviet Union?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 15 Sep 2020, 22:59

Interestingly enough, based on this interactive map (you can tinker with the data in it), the number of Polish-born and Russian-born people in the US in 1950 was generally lower than it was in 1940, with southern California being a notable exception to this rule, especially for Russian-born people:

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes ... lorer.html

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 16 Sep 2020, 22:16

From the PWN encyclopaedia:
Po zakończeniu II wojny światowej poza Polską znalazło się ponad 5 mln osób; ostatecznie do kraju nie powróciło ok. 0,5 mln Polaków, którzy osiedlali się w różnych regionach świata, głównie w Europie Zachodniej (RFN, Francja, Holandia, Belgia), USA, Kanadzie, Australii i Argentynie;
(after WW2, 5 million Poles found themselves outside Poland; eventually 0.5mln did not return. They settled in various regions of the world, mainly in Western Europe (Federal Republic of Germany, France, Holland, Belgium), USA, Canada, Australia and Argentina;)

Large numbers of Poles found themselves in the UK immediately after the war, but these numbers, I believe fell as people left over time for climes further afield. Nevertheless, no doubt due to its role during the war, most would agree that the UK remained, culturally and politically, the centre of world Polish emigration until 1990, despite numbers of Poles in other countries (such as Germany and USA) being greater.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 18 Sep 2020, 13:59

Sorry Futurist, my response was evidently swallowed up by the internet Gremlin 8O

Yes, same thing but in its modernised on-line version.

As an aside, I don't think Poland was overpopulated. Rather there was poverty and a mal-distribution of the workforce. This meant that there were too many people working the land inefficiently and no industry for them to go to unless they went abroad.

wm

Post by wm » 18 Sep 2020, 15:44

Futurist wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 22:53
I don't think many people fled communism by moving to the USSR...

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 18 Sep 2020, 19:46

wm wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 15:44
Futurist wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 22:53
I don't think many people fled communism by moving to the USSR...
True. However, the flight need not have been voluntary and could have been done because Stalin would have viewed some Poles as being subversives.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 19 Sep 2020, 20:26

gebhk wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 13:59
Sorry Futurist, my response was evidently swallowed up by the internet Gremlin 8O

Yes, same thing but in its modernised on-line version.
Is it available for free in English online?
As an aside, I don't think Poland was overpopulated. Rather there was poverty and a mal-distribution of the workforce. This meant that there were too many people working the land inefficiently and no industry for them to go to unless they went abroad.
Was this problem fixed under Communist rule?

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 19 Sep 2020, 22:44

(A) Not as far as I know
(B) Improved upon but probably at a far slower rate than would have happened otherwise.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 20 Sep 2020, 05:00

A) What about in Polish?

B) How much did things improve in regards to this between 1918 and 1939?

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”