the Polish Underground State

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Somosierra

the Polish Underground State

Post by Somosierra » 28 Jan 2003, 01:21

I would like to recommend to you a great website. Unfortunately it is in Polish, but you will able to find there many photographs and some other information “readable” without knowledge of the Polish language.

The website is in honor of the Polish Underground State and the Polish Home Army. There is information on Warsaw Uprising – 1944 (last 63 days), and you find info on Warsaw’s Ghetto Uprising – 1943 and on German Army and many, many more!
--
http://whatfor.prv.pl/

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 28 Jan 2003, 07:37

Thanks for the site reference Samosierra. Despite my rusty Polish reading skills it is an interesting site with some good info. An English version would be great.

Unfortunately, outside of Polish circles there seems to be very little known about the Armia Krajowa (Polish Home Army). It had been active since the early part of the war in 1939 and had successfully set up the most effective partisan and espionage system of any of the Allies - all under the extremely repressive German and Soviet noses. By 1944, the AK had grown to an army of more than 400,000 and operated from the English Channel to eastern Siberia.

I in turn HIGHLY RECOMMEND you and anyone else reading this post to a great website. It is the absolutely riveting account of British POW Ron Jeffery titled “Red Runs the Vistula”. The story reads like a fast paced action novel, but it is the true account of an escaped prisoner of war who joins the Polish AK. It is available in its entirety at:

http://polish.ssni.ca/BIBL-CONS/JEFF-ORIG/JEFFERY.HTM

If you’re like me, you won’t be able to stop reading until finished.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 28 Jan 2003, 12:06

PolAntek wrote:Thanks for the site reference Samosierra. Despite my rusty Polish reading skills it is an interesting site with some good info. An English version would be great.

Unfortunately, outside of Polish circles there seems to be very little known about the Armia Krajowa (Polish Home Army). It had been active since the early part of the war in 1939 and had successfully set up the most effective partisan and espionage system of any of the Allies - all under the extremely repressive German and Soviet noses. By 1944, the AK had grown to an army of more than 400,000 and operated from the English Channel to eastern Siberia.

I in turn HIGHLY RECOMMEND you and anyone else reading this post to a great website. It is the absolutely riveting account of British POW Ron Jeffery titled “Red Runs the Vistula”. The story reads like a fast paced action novel, but it is the true account of an escaped prisoner of war who joins the Polish AK. It is available in its entirety at:

http://polish.ssni.ca/BIBL-CONS/JEFF-ORIG/JEFFERY.HTM

If you’re like me, you won’t be able to stop reading until finished.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
You are Polish origin so you should speak Polish well. Its your problem and shame if you cant.

Best regards

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 28 Jan 2003, 16:48

Musashi wrote:You are Polish origin so you should speak Polish well. Its your problem and shame if you cant.
And who are you for judging people? So cut it....

Musashi

Post by Musashi » 28 Jan 2003, 19:35

Starinov wrote:
Musashi wrote:You are Polish origin so you should speak Polish well. Its your problem and shame if you cant.
And who are you for judging people? So cut it....
No, its only my subjective opinion.

Without resentment

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 28 Jan 2003, 19:45

Musashi wrote:No, its only my subjective opinion.
Try to live in another country than Poland for 20-30 years, be raised in that country when one of your parents is not polish and then we could talk about shame.....

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 29 Jan 2003, 09:08

Musashi,

Czlowieku, uspokuj sie.

Dobrze ze chlopak sie tym wogule interesuje.

Sporo emigrantow nie tylko zapomina jezyk, ale historia kraju tez ich gowno obchodzi.

Musashi

Post by Musashi » 29 Jan 2003, 11:54

Davey Boy wrote:Musashi,

Czlowieku, uspokuj sie.

Dobrze ze chlopak sie tym wogule interesuje.

Sporo emigrantow nie tylko zapomina jezyk, ale historia kraju tez ich gowno obchodzi.
Men! I understand you very well and thanks for your opinion. However my post was sent to PolAntek and only he should write what he thinks about me and my opinion. :)

Best regards

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 29 Jan 2003, 15:00

Musashi wrote:Men! I understand you very well and thanks for your opinion. However my post was sent to PolAntek and only he should write what he thinks about me and my opinion.
Then PM him and do not write on the forum directly where everybody can read your posts...

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 30 Jan 2003, 03:28

Musashi wrote: Men! I understand you very well and thanks for your opinion. However my post was sent to PolAntek and only he should write what he thinks about me and my opinion. :)
Heh heh. You seem like an intersting character Musashi (what's with the Japanese identity?).

As the Canadian born son of Polish immigrants (I consider myself a Pole first, a Canadian second) who has lived here for all of my 30-something years, I’d say my Polish language skills are actually quite good. I am now thankful to my parents for forcibly sending this resentful child to Polish school on Saturday mornings to learn to read and write.

The Polish language is very rich and expressive. My appreciation of its subtleties and nuances continues to grow. I’m sure you’ll agree that there is a distinct gap between the ‘common street’ level and the more ‘formal’ level of the language. I can speak to someone without difficulty, but when watching a Polish news program, or reading some literature, for example, being one who is not constantly immersed in the language I can easily get hung up. As Starinov wisely points out, it’s a case of ‘use it or lose it’.

About the only opportunity I get is when chatting with my father (a veteran of Anders’ 2nd Corps) who, as always, insists that I speak Polish to him. He's 81 and sharp as a tack! He’s the man I credit for giving me a fascination with Poland’s proud military heritage, as well as a resentment against all of the misinformation and outright ignorance about the considerable Polish contribution during WW2. (One of the things I watch for on this site.) He also has given me a deep sense of appreciation for the countless bitter tragedies that have befallen the Poles over the years, and the remarkable patriotism and courage that has kept the Polish nation alive. Enough said - perhaps too much.

Anyway, have any of you checked out the Ron Jeffery site I mentioned in my earlier post? Definitely a must read. Comments welcome.

Musashi

Post by Musashi » 30 Jan 2003, 22:42

PolAntek wrote:
Musashi wrote: Men! I understand you very well and thanks for your opinion. However my post was sent to PolAntek and only he should write what he thinks about me and my opinion. :)
Heh heh. You seem like an intersting character Musashi (what's with the Japanese identity?).

As the Canadian born son of Polish immigrants (I consider myself a Pole first, a Canadian second) who has lived here for all of my 30-something years, I’d say my Polish language skills are actually quite good. I am now thankful to my parents for forcibly sending this resentful child to Polish school on Saturday mornings to learn to read and write.

The Polish language is very rich and expressive. My appreciation of its subtleties and nuances continues to grow. I’m sure you’ll agree that there is a distinct gap between the ‘common street’ level and the more ‘formal’ level of the language. I can speak to someone without difficulty, but when watching a Polish news program, or reading some literature, for example, being one who is not constantly immersed in the language I can easily get hung up. As Starinov wisely points out, it’s a case of ‘use it or lose it’.

About the only opportunity I get is when chatting with my father (a veteran of Anders’ 2nd Corps) who, as always, insists that I speak Polish to him. He's 81 and sharp as a tack! He’s the man I credit for giving me a fascination with Poland’s proud military heritage, as well as a resentment against all of the misinformation and outright ignorance about the considerable Polish contribution during WW2. (One of the things I watch for on this site.) He also has given me a deep sense of appreciation for the countless bitter tragedies that have befallen the Poles over the years, and the remarkable patriotism and courage that has kept the Polish nation alive. Enough said - perhaps too much.

Anyway, have any of you checked out the Ron Jeffery site I mentioned in my earlier post? Definitely a must read. Comments welcome.
Of course I was not going to offend you. Thats nice you speak Polish and dont write you know it not good if you can read and write.

Best regards.
By the way: I have seen the site - nice pictures

Somosierra

Gentleman,

Post by Somosierra » 31 Jan 2003, 01:34

Gentleman, I wanted just to promote a great website about our great history – not “to wake up” our national characters...

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”