Persecution of "Volksdeutsche" before the start of WW2?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Lagami

Persecution of "Volksdeutsche" before the start of WW2?

Post by Lagami » 23 Feb 2016, 22:30

Hey,
I have made a very interesting find right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmpRWoVBQw

Unfortunately there are no english subtitles for you non-german speaking folks. (The title says its from the August 23rd 1939 from the German news(obviously I don't even know if that even is true though.))
Basically it shows a bunch of Germans who allegedly are in Pre-WW2 Poland and speak of killings of innocent Germans living there.
To me this seems like blatanat Propaganda to justify the Poland invasion. I feel like even the voice tracks might have been edited and it isn't even actually recordings of those men, women and children.
However, it raises my interest. Is there any evidence for massacres of "Volksdeutsche" taking place in Pre-WW2 Poland?
After some googling I also did read that the same is said to have happened in Czech.

However I did not find any reliable evidence for this. Does anyone know more about this or is it really just nothing but German propaganda?

GregSingh

Re: Persecution of "Volksdeutsche" before the start of WW2?

Post by GregSingh » 24 Feb 2016, 06:10

This footage was indeed cut out from 23rd of August 1939 edition of UfA Ton-Woche Nr.468 newsreel.

So what's the commentary? Were they leaving Poland and arriving in Freie Stadt Danzig or leaving Freie Stadt Danzig and arriving in Germany?

Lagami

Post by Lagami » 24 Feb 2016, 22:19

GregSingh wrote:This footage was indeed cut out from 23rd of August 1939 edition of UfA Ton-Woche Nr.468 newsreel.

So what's the commentary? Were they leaving Poland and arriving in Freie Stadt Danzig or leaving Freie Stadt Danzig and arriving in Germany?
In the beginning the commentary says that people from Freie Stadt Danzig are easily coming to Germany without any problems but within the polish borders the Germans are persecuted, imprisoned, abused and even murdered and have a hard time fleeing out of Poland.
Then the people describe cases of their family members being put into prisons or being abused etc.

wm

Post by wm » 25 Feb 2016, 23:44

In the last weeks of peace there were local conflicts between the Polish population and the German population resulting sometimes even in deaths.
Additionally thousands Germans fled to Germany or Danzig because they felt vulnerable, but mostly to avoid serving in the Polish Army, or maybe to avoid prison - in the last month about 600+ Germans were sentences for some kind of anti-Polish activity.

But still the number of those Germans remained minuscule in comparison with the total German population in Poland.
There wasn't any press or any other campaign against the German minority, the tone of the press remained calm to the end. The government wanted to avoid any provocations, but there was lots of tension in the border areas because the people there were able to see with own eyes that war was inevitable.

The events are described in this book although the price suggests there won't be many takers...

Lagami

Post by Lagami » 26 Feb 2016, 00:26

wm wrote:In the last weeks of peace there were local conflicts between the Polish population and the German population resulting sometimes even in deaths.
Additionally thousands Germans fled to Germany or Danzig because they felt vulnerable, but mostly to avoid serving in the Polish Army, or maybe to avoid prison - in the last month about 600+ Germans were sentences for some kind of anti-Polish activity.

But still the number of those Germans remained minuscule in comparison with the total German population in Poland.
There wasn't any press or any other campaign against the German minority, the tone of the press remained calm to the end. The government wanted to avoid any provocations, but there was lots of tension in the border areas because the people there were able to see with own eyes that war was inevitable.

The events are described in this book although the price suggests there won't be many takers...
Thanks a lot for the informations!
That book seems to be very interesting. Unfortunately 319€ is a price I don't really plan to pay on a book at all. Does anyone know similar books about what was going on between Poland and Germany between WW1 and WW2?

Edit: I found it on another source for only 25€. I don't get how such a difference in the price came up. However it is the same book. So I guess I'm gonna give it a try.

wm

Post by wm » 02 Mar 2016, 01:22

Anti-German disturbances in the Greater Poland region before the war:
wielkopolska.jpg
wielkopolska.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 943 times
from: Dariusz Matelski, Mniejszość niemiecka w Wielkopolsce w latach 1919-1939.

1 - months,
2 - demonstrations,
3 - breaking windows,
4 - graffiti,
5 - property damage,
6 - assault and battery,
7 - defacing signboards,
8 - insulting Hitler,
9 - National Party's provocations.

The National Party was frequently singled out because they were regarded as "terrorists", but it fact because they were a serious political danger to the ruling Sanacja group.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”