Polish scouts 1917-1921

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Peter K
T. Snorrason

Polish scouts 1917-1921

Post by T. Snorrason » 26 Mar 2017 22:43

Being interested in the Polish scouts' history, achievements, their uniforms, flags and distinctions 1918-21, I have tried to translate an article by Marek Rezler: "Umundurowanie skautingu wielkopolskiego w latach 1912-1919", published in „Harcerstwo" 1985 nr 20, p. 34-45.
Most of the text I can grasp, but when it comes to translate the text on girl-scouts clothing into English, it is way over my ability!
Perhaps someone here can help?

Częściami zasadniczymi ubioru były bluzka i spódnica, wykonana z popielatego szewiotu. Bluzka skrojona z karczkiem (zarówno z tyłu, jak z przodu). Na plecach pośrodku kontrafałda szerokości 5 cm; podobne kontrafałdy z przodu, symetryczne do zapięcia (krytego, pod trzecią kontrafałdą) od najszerszej części karczka ku paskowi. Z prawej strony kieszonka otwarta, o wymiarach 10 X 8 cm.. Kołnierzyk wykładany — z tkaniny bluzki, przy większych uroczystościach biały, nie krochmalony, płócienny. Spódnica z podwyższonym stanem, na pasku, z lewej strony od góry do dołuzapinana na rząd popielatych rogowych guzików średnicy 2,5 cm, w odstępach co 8 cm. Z boków dwie gładkie zakładki, z prawej strony na wysokości/opuczonej dłoni kieszeń o wymiarach 20 X 15 cm, zapięta na zatrzask. Z tyłu spódnicy dwie równoległe kontrafałdy szerokości 10 cm każda, zastebnowane od góry do połowy długości spódnicy. Obwód spódnicy: 210 cm, długość - dostosowana, do wzrostu i wieku skautki (w myśl kanonów ówczesnej mody i norm obyczajowych - im dziewczyna starsza, tym spódnica była, dłuższa). Przy spódnicach długich miały występować 4 paski z guzikami umożliwiającymi podpinanie- w czasie wycieczek.)

Further, if anyone have informations on the uniforms etc. of the Polish scouts in the Austrian partition, mainly in Galicia and parts of Ukraine, I would be very happy. While the Wielkopolska scouts seem mainly to have been uniformed in German grey, differing mostly in different hat and cap models (maciejowcas, rogatywcas and hats with the right brim turned up like those of the Lettow-Vorbeck Corps in Africa.) along political and national lines, it is my impression that the scouts from the Galician-Ukrainian areas were uniformed along the English model in yellow-brown hats and shirts with dark shorts.

If anyone can help, I would be very happy.

T. Snorrason

gebhk

Re: Polish scouts 1917-1921

Post by gebhk » 31 Mar 2017 10:39

Essential elements of the dress were a cheviot blouse and skirt in ash-grey. The blouse was cut with a stand collar (front and back). There was a pleat at the back, 5cm wide; similar pleats at the front from neck to waist, symmetrical when the blouse was buttoned (the buttons hidden under a third pleat). There was an open pocket on the right 10x8 cm. Fall collar from the same material as the blouse – white, unstarched linen for special occasions. Skirt with a raised waist, belted, buttoned down the left side top-to-bottom with a row of ash-grey horn buttons of 2.5cm diameter and 8cm apart. Two flat folds down each side, on the right, at lowered hand level, a 10x15 cm pocket. At the back of the skirt, two parallel pleats 10cm wide each, backstitched from the top to half their length. Circumference of the skirt 210 cm, length appropriate to the height and age of the girl guide (in line with canons of fashion and custom of the time – the older the girl, the longer the skirt). Long skirts were supposed to have 4 buttoned straps enabling the hem to be lifted on excursions.

Clothesmaking not my area of expertise, so there may be some technical errors.

T. Snorrason

Post by T. Snorrason » 31 Mar 2017 13:16

Thank you very much.
I am sure the translation is fine.
I agree, the subject seems a little odd and certainly strange, when working on the Polish uniforms 1910 :-)
But the young Polish scout movements are, maybe a little surprisingly, a very active part of the independence movement.
Once again, thank you very much.
T. Snorrason

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 04 Apr 2017 20:39

Happy to help.

I don't think the involvement of Scouting in independence movements (not just in Poland) is surprising. Scouting had a strong patriotic theme from its inception. In countries which were not independent, this would inevitably steer scouts into independence activity, I think.

My grandfather (born 1900) became a scout in 1913, just 3 years after Scouting became established in Poland. He remained very actively involved (in Poland and then, after WW2, in the UK) until his death in 1982. The subject is therefore not without interest to me!

Best wishes
K

T. Snorrason

Post by T. Snorrason » 04 Apr 2017 21:25

Hi
once more, thank you for your help.
The Polish scout movements were more involved in the national fight for independence, than in most other countries.
There were many different scout movements in Poland until 1921,when they all amalgamated into one organization.
Especially the scout movement in Galicia, in "Pilsudski land", around the POW, the rifle associations and the later legion, openly declared that the Polish scouts had a special national "twist".
I have been fascinated by the Poles and their fight for independence, since I read"White Eagle-Red Star" by Norman Davies,and is especially interested in the Polish uniforms and colours.
Over the last 10-15 years I have collected a rather large collection of books on the subject, even if I am Danish and have to use Google Translation to read them :-)
Also it is amazing,how much it is possible to find on the period on the internet.
I have put someof my "work" up on the Russian site Studio Siberia http://siberia-miniatures.ru/
On "my Poles" see http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/show ... 12&tid=185
I have more to put up, but it still needs some polishing.
At the moment I am working on "reading": "Mundur i barwy jazdy dywizyjnej oraz strzelców konnych Wojska Polskiego. Lata 1919-1939" by Aleksander Smoliński.
Kind regards
T. Snorrason

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”