Poland 1939 Eastern Front Surrender to the SU

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Peter K
mxw99

Poland 1939 Eastern Front Surrender to the SU

Post by mxw99 » 22 May 2017 02:23

My Father as a young Chorazy (Warrant Officer) surrendered to the Soviets in Sept 1939
( 17 sept ?) and was saved by a Senior Sargent from his Platoon by removing the Officer's eppolets.( saved from Katyn)
Later, the POWs were transferred to German control, initially as German POWS but later as "forced labourers" and sent to Maklebourg area as "farm laboures " He worked on a German farm. At the time, ( the very beginning of II World War) there seemed to be a program to entice such (POWs) to become Volksdeutsch - and he had such offer as we have had some German relatives. He had turned it down - and now the rest of the story becomes murkey
Can anyone offer any insight in things/actions etc.. that were happening in these days/area.
Will be greatful for any comments and info.
Mark

jednastka

Re: Poland 1939 Eastern Front Surrender to the SU

Post by jednastka » 22 May 2017 21:52

In my family's case, my great uncle lived in Pomerania with his four sons. After the German attack on the Soviet Union, pressure increased on him to sign Volkesdeutsch papers. Eventually, in late 1943, the authorities arrived again, demanding signature. When he again refused, the grabbed the youngest, and said they would start by shooting him first, and move to the next youngest until the papers were signed. My great-uncle capitulated and signed. Immediately, he and his three eldest sons were drafted into the Wehrmacht and served on the Eastern front for the remainder of the war. They all survived, and returned home. They never spoke much about their experiences. The youngest son was just under draft age at the time. In April 1944 he was drafted, and sent to the western front, helping to build the Atlantic Wall. Just after D-Day, at the first opportunity, he defected, running across no-mans land to the American unit opposite them, yelling "don't shoot!" in Polish and German.. They happened to be mainly from Polish Chicago, and quickly befriended him. He finished the war serving with Polish II Corps.

My understanding is the purpose of obtaining signature on the papers was to draft these western Poles into the German Army that was being significantly depleted in its attack on the Soviet Union.

Vic

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”