Marshal Rydz-Smigly photo - ?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Peter K
PolAntek

Marshal Rydz-Smigly photo - ?

Post by PolAntek » 24 May 2003 20:18

I recently acquired this original pre-war photograph of Poland’s Marshal Rydz-Smigly (issued by Wojskowego Instytutu Naukowo-Oswiatowego – roughly translated “Military Institute of Education”) in my collection and am curious if anyone out there can provide any details about the date and circumstances of the event pictured.

My guess is that it may have been taken in Krakow on August 6, 1939 when the Marshal delivered a speech before 150,000 legionnaires and addressed the then escalating crisis with Hitler over Danzig. During this speech he stated that Poland was determined to meet "force with force" and to oppose any direct or indirect attempt to tamper with her interests and rights.

Ironically, he let his peace loving “allies” France and England do just that when they demanded the Poles not mobilize their forces in order to avoid antagonizing Hitler. A very costly error as they were utterly unprepared for the German attack when it came Sept. 1. A critical contributor to the quick defeat of the Poles. Of course, being then abandoned by those same allies didn't help their cause either.

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AHLF

Post by AHLF » 26 May 2003 19:38

Nice photos! No information I can provide you with, though...

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 27 May 2003 06:19

Thanks nonetheless AHLF. Yeah, it is a great shot - good emotion, great uniform detail with the military regalia.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”