Retreat of Polish troops in Siberia 1920

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
koczownik

Retreat of Polish troops in Siberia 1920

Post by koczownik » 29 Aug 2018, 16:35

I am curious to know some detail about the retreat of the survivors of the Polish 5th (Siberian) Division in 1920. From my understanding, after the defeat at Klukvienna in January 1920, some troops chose not to surrender and made their way to Manchuria and Vladivostok. The only group I previously knew about was the 900 men under Kazimierz Rumsza, which traveled via Irkutsk to Harbin. However, the book "Polish Legions 1914-1919" by Nigel Thomas says that there were two groups of Poles who retreated: one of them was Rumsza's group, but the book claims there was another group of 1000 men who "walked across Mongolia and northern China to Vladivostok". Can someone give me more detail about the retreat of these two Polish groups, such as whether they were involved in any skirmishes with Reds along the way, and who was leading that group of 1000 which apparently "walked across Mongolia"?

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”