Poland-Italy DOW?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
koczownik

Poland-Italy DOW?

Post by koczownik » 14 Dec 2018, 13:51

Looking through the list linked below, I could not find any mention of a declaration of war between Poland and Italy. Of course, Polish soldiers fought in the Italian campaign (Battle of Monte Cassino being one well known example), so I am curious to know if a formal state of war ever actually existed between Poland (or the govt. in exile) and Fascist Italy during WW2?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declarati ... rld_War_II

GregSingh

Re: Poland-Italy DOW?

Post by GregSingh » 15 Dec 2018, 08:18

There was no formal declaration of war between Poland and Italy.
See here: Enemies of our allies. The issue of (non) existence of war between Poland and Italy
Polish soldiers fought in the Italian campaign (Battle of Monte Cassino being one well known example)
That would be against German Army, not Italian. North Africa campaign would be something you may want to have a closer look.

koczownik

Post by koczownik » 15 Dec 2018, 13:47

GregSingh wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 08:18
There was no formal declaration of war between Poland and Italy.
See here: Enemies of our allies. The issue of (non) existence of war between Poland and Italy
Thank you, I will have a read through it.
GregSingh wrote:
15 Dec 2018, 08:18
That would be against German Army, not Italian. North Africa campaign would be something you may want to have a closer look.
Maybe, I'm no expert on the Italian Campaign. Are you sure Polish troops never fought Italian Social Republic troops in Italy? Germans weren't the only Axis forces there at that time.

reedwh52

Post by reedwh52 » 15 Dec 2018, 17:16

I do not know the answer with any certainty, but propose an Italian viewpoint of the question.

Italy did not recognize the government in exile in Britain as the government of Poland. In Axis (and Russian) eyes, Poland no longer existed as a nation and no declaration of war was needed.
In fact, if Italy had declared war on Poland in June 1940, then this would have been recognition of the government in exile. This may not have sat well with the Italian allies.

koczownik

Post by koczownik » 15 Dec 2018, 19:18

Yes, that's a good point. I was thinking more likely about a declaration of war against Italy from the Polish government in exile. They did this against Japan in 1941, although Japan ignored it...

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”