Was Poland going to attack Germany?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
john2

Was Poland going to attack Germany?

Post by john2 » 18 Dec 2019, 05:02

Sorry if this has been asked before. On May 23, 1939 Hitler gave a speech to his generals he explained that he planned to attack the west first but Poland was going to attack Germany - while they were fighting the west. Is there any truth to what Hitler said or was he making up an excuse?
It was clear to me that a conflict with Poland had to come sooner or later. I had already made this decision in the spring, but I thought that I would first turn against the West in a few years, and only after that against the East. But the sequence of these things cannot be fixed. Nor should one close one's eyes to threatening situations. I wanted first of all to establish a tolerable relationship with Poland in order to fight first against the West. But this plan, which appealed to me, could not be executed, as fundamental points had changed. It became clear to me that, in the event of a conflict with the West, Poland would attack us. Poland is striving for access to the sea. The further development appeared after the occupation of the Memel Territory and it became clear to me that in certain circumstances a conflict with Poland might come at an inopportune moment.
http://ghdi.ghi-dc.org/sub_document.cfm ... nt_id=1546

lukis12

Re: Was Poland going to attack Germany?

Post by lukis12 » 18 Dec 2019, 19:48

if the fulfillment of your allied commitments can be called aggression then yes.
This statement refers to the situation of the unprovoked German invasion of France with which Poland was associated with the alliance

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”