Sorbs and polish recruitments among POW´s ?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Stephan

Sorbs and polish recruitments among POW´s ?

Post by Stephan » 16 Feb 2020, 11:56

What about the Sorbs? (Luzyczanie, Wendowie) They are living in Germany, somewhere between Oder and Berlin, and thus german citizens. I would guess they were taken into Wehrmacht. But they are slavonic, and speak a language inbetween polish and czech... Some of them talks in fact almost pure polish (there are at least 2 sorbic dialects).

OK. As we know, the polish army in west happily recruited soldiers among german POW´s. If they could talk polish or a polish sounding dialect (kaszubs, schlesien, Górale) AND were willing to fight in the polish army against the nazi Germany...
Such were welcome, especielly as the POW´s were per definition fully trained soldiers, so the switch could sometimes come inside a couple of days...
The total numbers of such switchers were very substantial, I dont know the exact number but it was to count in ten thousands sooner than thousands.
They helped to substantially increase the numbers of polish soldiers in west!

And thus, the Sorbian POWs could come into question, as "polish speaking". The other stipulation remains though; were they willing to fight for the polish army against the german army, even if it were a nazi army??

A guess could be, active anti nazists among them could volunteer and were recruited, but most felt themselves as loyal german citizens, and thus, didnt volunteered to the new service, being happy with the fact the war was over for them and they were still alive and in one piece.... The POW lager a cheap price to pay.
Ps. I know they couldnt be any big numbers: the sorbs are by themselves a small minority, nowadays about 60´, at that time probably somewhat more.
So the total numbers of their soldiers - what? somewhere between 6-12 thousand??

What do you say, you whom know?

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”