Battle of Faenza

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
HenryD

Battle of Faenza

Post by HenryD » 24 Jun 2020, 19:12

Hi,

I'm looking into the Polish involvement into the battle of Faenza In Italy currently (14 Nov -17 Dec 1944) to collate some information into a wiki page. There is alot of documentation regarding New Zealands actions but very little on Polish which is very interesting but not my primary focus.

I plan on doing a few of the lesser known battles for polish involvement including Cesena-Forli (circa 14th August, 1944).

Any information / books / links would be welcomed.

Cheers.

HenryD

Re: Battle of Faenza

Post by HenryD » 25 Jun 2020, 10:01

ITALY VOLUME II : FROM CASSINO TO TRIESTE II: THE CAPTURE OF FAENZA - http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarl ... ml#fn2-310
This excellent source is focused on the 2 NZ Div

United States Army in World War II Mediterranean Theater of Operations Cassino To the Alps
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... no-23.html
Another excellent source

Steve

Post by Steve » 27 Jun 2020, 05:35

Taken from The Polish 2nd Corps and the Italian Campaign 1943-45 by Witold Madeja page 127.

“The Polish Corps committed on this ground in the middle of October, played a far more important part, in the course of the following two and a half months fighting, than allotted to it by 8th Army orders. For in spite of the fact that it became the rule for 2nd Corps to “cover from the south V Corps attack along Route 9”, it nearly always happened that 2nd Corps pushed further forward, rolled up the German flank and endangered the enemy rear, thus deciding the battle in favour of the Allies. The Germans were forced in this way through being outflanked by 2nd Corps, to abandon successively the important junctions of Cesena, Forli, and Faenza”.

Between 19 and 20 October the corps moved 9,555 tons using 5,309 vehicles and took 876 prisoners.

Everything anyone could possibly want to know about the 2nd Corps but it came out in 1984 and where you would now get a copy I have no idea.

HenryD

Post by HenryD » 18 Jan 2021, 00:41

Thanks for that, I managed to get myself a copy on ebay!

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 18 Jan 2021, 02:39

HenryD wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 19:12
Hi,

I'm looking into the Polish involvement into the battle of Faenza In Italy currently (14 Nov -17 Dec 1944) to collate some information into a wiki page. There is alot of documentation regarding New Zealands actions but very little on Polish which is very interesting but not my primary focus.

I plan on doing a few of the lesser known battles for polish involvement including Cesena-Forli (circa 14th August, 1944).

Any information / books / links would be welcomed.

Cheers.
I'd start with CAB 44/147. This is the War Office in house narrative from which the official history was written. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /h/C628264
The bad news is that its a n on digitized book in the national archives.

HenryD

Post by HenryD » 18 Jan 2021, 22:14

Thats great info! Cheers I may order a photocopy from them when they reopen.

Maybe you could shed some light here?
I've been looking for war diaries for units in the polish 2nd corps during their time in Italy. I have done searches but to be honest I'm a novice. Would that be in the national archives or in the polish institute and sikorski museum?

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”