An Austro-Hungarian annexation of Volhynia if the Central Powers will win WWI and NOT create an independent Ukraine?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Futurist

An Austro-Hungarian annexation of Volhynia if the Central Powers will win WWI and NOT create an independent Ukraine?

Post by Futurist » 16 Jul 2020, 08:17

Would it have been plausible for Austria (Austria-Hungary) to acquire Volhynia sometime during the 20th century--for instance, if the CPs somehow manage to win World War I but do NOT insist on Ukrainian independence? In such a scenario, giving Volhynia--with its relatively large Czech and especially German populations--to Austria (Austria-Hungary) could make sense, no? (For the record, I'm assuming that if Volhynia went to Austria (Austria-Hungary), then so would at least western Podolia for better and straighter borders.)

Also, what would the effects of an Austrian (Austro-Hungarian) Volhynia have been?

I'm asking about this because a huge part of Volhynia was a part of Poland in the interwar era, so this question is directly relevant to a part of interwar Poland.

wm

Re: An Austro-Hungarian annexation of Volhynia if the Central Powers will win WWI and NOT create an independent Ukraine?

Post by wm » 16 Jul 2020, 12:21

Vae victis, woe to the conquered, so why not.

As the lands were exceedingly poor and populated by a large number of Jews, the one certain outcome would have been that even more Jews would arrive in Vienna, and make Mr. Hitler even angrier.
Last edited by wm on 16 Jul 2020, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Futurist

Re: An Austro-Hungarian annexation of Volhynia if the Central Powers will win WWI and NOT create an independent Ukraine?

Post by Futurist » 16 Jul 2020, 18:27

wm wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 12:21
Vae victis, woe to the conquered, so why not.

As the lands were exceedingly poor and populated by a large number of Jews, the one certain outcome would have been that even more Jews would arrive in Vienna, and make Mr. Hiter even angrier.
But Hitler already lived in Germany ever since 1913, no?

wm

Post by wm » 16 Jul 2020, 19:24

Many years later he dedicated many pages in his Mein Kampf to his beloved Vienna.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 16 Jul 2020, 19:47

True, but I'm just saying that he personally won't be in Vienna to see the influx of Volhynian Jews into there in this scenario.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”