Detailed interwar Polish census reports with maps?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Futurist

Detailed interwar Polish census reports with maps?

Post by Futurist » 13 Feb 2021 01:36

Does anyone here know where exactly I can find detailed interwar Polish census reports with maps? As in, interwar Polish census reports that were actually published by the interwar Polish government.

GregSingh

Re: Detailed interwar Polish census reports with maps?

Post by GregSingh » 13 Feb 2021 08:34

Which one?

September 30th, 1921 - https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierwszy_ ... no%C5%9Bci
December 9th, 1931 - https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugi_Pow ... no%C5%9Bci

Also try to search on server of Statistical Office:
https://spis.gov.pl/historia-spisow/
https://stat.gov.pl/
The first step to immortality is death.
Jerzy Lec

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 13 Feb 2021 12:45

Specifically, in relation to GUS, I think you need the Centralna Biblioteka Statystyczna website.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 13 Feb 2021 22:25

What is GUS?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 14 Feb 2021 02:08

Statistical Office.
You have all the data and charts at the links I included, just scroll to the bottom. These seem to be in Polish only.
You might find French version as well. I don't think there was much in English?
Jerzy Lec

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 14 Feb 2021 08:03

I don't think there was much in English?
The original documents were published in Polish and French - and it is the originals published between the wars that Futurist asked for I think? The CBS website can be accessed in English (Union Jack icon). There may be a translation of the relevant documents into English albeit it didn't jump out at me. On the other hand, I expect this sort of stuff was collected by the UK and US Foreign Office's, so the usual suspects (eg Kew) may prove useful sources of translations if needed?

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 16 Feb 2021 23:40

gebhk wrote:
14 Feb 2021 08:03
I don't think there was much in English?
The original documents were published in Polish and French - and it is the originals published between the wars that Futurist asked for I think? The CBS website can be accessed in English (Union Jack icon). There may be a translation of the relevant documents into English albeit it didn't jump out at me. On the other hand, I expect this sort of stuff was collected by the UK and US Foreign Office's, so the usual suspects (eg Kew) may prove useful sources of translations if needed?
Do we know why the original documents were not also published in English?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 17 Feb 2021 03:54

Do we know why the original documents were not also published in English?
English was not widely known in continental Europe at that time. French was still the most important language (eg. diplomacy). It was taught as a second language in schools in most European countries.
Those who were thinking about carrier in medicine/pharmacy had to learn Latin. Those in engineering - German.
Jerzy Lec

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 18 Feb 2021 13:39

GreghSingh hits the nail on the head. English (or rather, if we are to be honest, American) has become the 'lingua Franca' since WW2 on the back of the American international dominance of business and media, particularly film and television. Or that's my theory anyway.

henryk

Post by henryk » 19 Feb 2021 23:51

An interesting presentation on the fisrt two censuses:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtop ... 7[quote]On our blog appeared the new article written by Piotr Zelny – genealogist, historian working in the Historical Museum in Sanok, tourist and genealogy guide in PolishOrigins.

Registration questionnaires of the First and Second General Censuses of Poland in 1921 and 1931

When World War I had drawn to an end and Poland was regaining its sovereignty, the Polish authorities faced a very difficult task of reunifying the country. For over a century, the individual parts of the state remained within the borders of foreign countries. Several generations of people grew up in three different countries, three different political, administrative and economic systems. In addition, the First World War that swept through the country completely changed the picture of reality(...).

The authorities of the reborn Poland, who had to rule over the divided country, had just a rough idea about demography, social and economic conditions of its own state. Without this knowledge, it was impossible to effectively manage such a diverse country. To remedy this, the government decided to carry out the First General Census in Poland in September 1921. Although it was not the first census in the country, it was the first one which covered all the inhabitants of Poland within its contemporary borders, hence why it was called the first general one.

Here you can read the whole text: https://blog.polishorigins.com/general- ... of-poland/[/quote]

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 22 Mar 2021 22:52

Very interesting; thank you, you guys! :)

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”