Polish plans for Belarus during the Polish-Soviet War?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Futurist

Re: Polish plans for Belarus during the Polish-Soviet War?

Post by Futurist » 31 Mar 2021 18:15

One would think that, even without Lithuania, Poland would have been enough of a guiding light for both Belarus and Ukraine, though.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 01 Apr 2021 08:16

And from a practical point of view, in pretty much every way, Czechoslovakia was what was really needed for such a Federation to work.

Now I've done it, I'll never hear the end of it.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 03 Apr 2021 00:57

gebhk wrote:
01 Apr 2021 08:16
And from a practical point of view, in pretty much every way, Czechoslovakia was what was really needed for such a Federation to work.

Now I've done it, I'll never hear the end of it.
You mean outright annexing Czechoslovakia due to its huge amounts of industry and natural resources?

wm

Post by wm » 03 Apr 2021 09:38

Czechoslovakia wasn't part of the Jagiellonian thing. The plan was to sign an anti-Soviet/anti-German military agreement with the Czechs but they never accepted it.
Poland would never annex Czechoslovakia it was simply impossible.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 03 Apr 2021 10:49

I'm not sure any of that matters - the point is that without Czechoslovakian involvement, any Federal plan was doomed to failure because Poland had little or nothing to offer potential members. It did however have geo-strategic and manpower benefits to offer Czechoslovakia. The two complimented each other in a great many ways and could mutually ameliorate deficits - politically, structurally and militarily. A strong Polish-Czechoslovak union/federation, whatever the precise form, could have provided a cornerstone for a larger federation and therefore the chance of success of such a venture. This could not be achieved by either alone.

As an aside, i think it a mistake to assume that entire nations (in this case 'the Czechs') have the same views. The main obstacle on the Czechoslovak side to Polish-Czechoslovak cooperation was Benes and his circle. Seeing the way the wind was blowing and having, perhaps, a more realistic appreciation of the military realities, much of the senior Czech Military was very much in favour of closer ties with Poland in the late 30s, up to and including outright union. A significant group were certainly contemplating removing Benes at the point of a bayonet if it was necessary to make that happen.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 02 May 2021 01:42

@gebhk: Are you thinking of a broad Intermarium federation here? Because Hungarian participation in such a federation might be difficult to achieve.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”