PRUSY ARMY - POLISH 76th LIDZKI INFANTRY REGIMENT

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Henry1949

PRUSY ARMY - POLISH 76th LIDZKI INFANTRY REGIMENT

Post by Henry1949 » 05 Feb 2022, 02:34

<t>Hello members, I hope that someone can assist me, my uncle served in the Polish Armed Forces in the 76th Lidzki Infantry Regiment from 25 March 1938 where on 05 June 1938 he swore the military oath. On 1 August 1938 he was mentioned on a list of soldiers nominated for the regimental award when he had the rank of rifleman in the 1st Company of the 76th Lidzki Infantry Regiment. Further data on his military service and participation in the 1939 military campaign cannot be confirmed.<br/>
I understand that the 76th Infantry Regiment was under the command of the 29th Infantry Division (Prusy Army) stationed in Grodno.<br/>
Uncle was taken prisoner by the invading German army on 7 September 1939 in the town of Piotrok. He was sent to various German Stalags to undertake forced labour.<br/>
After the war he did not return to Poland and finally settled in Australia where he died in 2013 aged 97 years.<br/>
As the family historian, I am trying to ascertain more information about the above military units, what military campaigns they fought, any photographs and maps, who were the Commanding Officers and is there a list of names of the soldiers in 1st Company of the 76th Lidzki Infantry Regiment during the period mentioned above. Any information would be most welcomed.<br/>
Regards, Henry</t>

GregSingh

Re: PRUSY ARMY - POLISH 76th LIDZKI INFANTRY REGIMENT

Post by GregSingh » 05 Feb 2022, 06:57

:welcome:

Good book to start with: Piotr Bieliński - 29th Infantry Division, unfortunately available only in Polish.
It has several maps and a photo of Polish POW's from 76th IR, but not a single name of any members of 1st Company, not even a company's commander.

Large fragments of 76th IR actions in early September 1939 were retyped from that book to this Wikipedia entry : 76 Lidzki Pułk Piechoty, again only in Polish, but can be easily Google translated to English.

Henry1949

Post by Henry1949 » 06 Feb 2022, 05:51

Hi Greg, thanks for the quick reply. I understand that this publication is out-of-print - any idea as to how I can get a copy? I have tried eBay and Amazon - no luck. Also looked up the Wikipedia entry - good info, however the book may provide additional info. Again, thank you for your assistance, regards, Henry
Albury NSW Australia

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 12 Feb 2022, 11:03

Hi Henry 1949

Sorry to respond belatedly - there was a snaffu when I posted my original reply which somewhat demotivated me for a while :( .

I assume you believe your uncle was still doing his national service when the war broke out which is not unreasonable given that national service in the infantry lasted 18 months. If so it is likely he would have remained in the 1st company and him becoming POW on 7 September in the area of Piotrkow is also consistent - I Battalion of the regiment was completely wiped out during the morning of 6 September near Piotrkow. It is probably worth adding that your uncle was quite lucky - there is significant evidence that 1st Panzer Division carried out several mass murders of POWs after the battalion was overwhelmed.

There is a file of accounts of soldiers of 76 Regiment in the Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum (BI 80c). Unfortunately it is not yet available online but it may be worth keeping a check on the PISM website as the online availability of the 1939 records is being slowly expanded. You could make enquiries yourself - however this tends to be a time-consuming and expensive process. I am happy to check what there is but cannot give a definitive date when I will be there next; it is however worth giving me a reminder from time to time. Because of the very high officer losses, I fear that the pickings will be slim, but you never know.

Another reason to visit the PISM website (pism.org.uk) is the section of advice and contact details for those seeking, like yourself, information on family members. The starting point for soldiers rolls and personel records of his service in Poland is CAW (Centralne Archiwum Wosjkowe - Central Military Archive) in Poland. As he ended up in the west after the war, your uncle most probably was assigned to a military unit and/or the Polish Resettlement Corps after liberation from POW camp. If so he should have a record in the Polish Section of the British MOD archives (Army Personnel Centre Disclosures 5 (Polish)). You will find all the relevant contact details of the PISM site (click on the 'archive' button on the header of the home page), including how to search for POW records.

Good luck with your researches!

BTW - if by 'the regimental award' you mean he received the Regimental Commemorative Badge, it should be a source of pride - it was not handed out to everybody. but only in recogntion of giving good service to the regiment. As you have the exact date I am guessing you have the award card that went with the badge?

Henry1949

Post by Henry1949 » 14 Feb 2022, 01:51

Good morning and thank you for your reply - great information.

I have a few 'follow-up' questions...

QUOTE - I am happy to check what there is but cannot give a definitive date when I will be there next; it is however worth giving me a reminder from time to time. Because of the very high officer losses, I fear that the pickings will be slim, but you never know. UNQUOTE

Would appreciate any assistance you can give and will send you a reminder occasionally. Do you require his details?

Regarding the regimental award or the Regimental Commemorative Badge - is an image available and where can I obtain a copy of the award card?

Regards,
Henry

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 14 Feb 2022, 07:13

Hi Henry

The Wiki page on the 76 lidzki pulk piechoty has a picture of the regimental badge. If you look up 'odznaka 76 lidzkiego pulku piechoty' on the 'image' section of google, there will be a selection of photos of actual badges (and possibly a few fakes too). These badges periodically come up for sale on such things as e-bay and allegro - but it is worth checking on their authenticity with an expert - and that, alas, is not me.

It's always worth having the details just in case h9is name crops up.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”