Polish memories of Monte Cassino

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Marcus

Polish memories of Monte Cassino

Post by Marcus » 15 Feb 2004, 12:40

Tomasz Skrzynski was a 20-year-old cadet in the Battle of Monte Cassino, in which Polish forces played one of their most prominent roles in World War II.
It was they who finally walked into the ruins of the monastery on 18 May, once the remaining Germany soldiers there had surrendered.
Mr Skrzynski, a member of the Carpathian lancers, was in the uplands above the monastery.
Like other Polish soldiers he had been fighting at close quarters to gain control of a hilltop or a mountain hut, sometimes spending days in a foxhole.
At one point, Polish troops who had run out of ammunition, and were cut off from their supplies, even resorted to throwing stones.
"The shelling continued day and night, there was no such thing as silence," he says.
"Once I was ordered to count the shells falling nearby, but after two hours or so it was above 500 and I lost count."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3486805.stm

/Marcus

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 15 Feb 2004, 12:54

I can confirm the information about throwing the stones. I have a 3-band book "Bitwa o Monte Cassino" ("The battle of Monte Cassino") of Melchior Wańkowicz. He served in Polish II Corps and took part in the battle. In contradistincion to the British authors who wrote a similar book he did not dedicate the whole book to the Polish soldiers. I have seen a book describing the battle where an British author dedicated TWO PAGES to the Polish soldiers. And the book is quite big.

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 15 Feb 2004, 19:22

Thank you Marcus for bringing the BBC article to my attention....

Monte Cassino is a very emotional subject to we Poles.

If in London, you can see the pennon of the 12th Podolski Lancers (cobbled together from a Red Cross flag and a blue handkerchief) and the Polish flag raised over the ruins of the monastery at the Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum....

Ogorek

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”