Polish Military Oath, 1919-1939

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
sylvieK4

Polish Military Oath, 1919-1939

Post by sylvieK4 » 06 Mar 2004, 21:36

Can anyone post an english-language translation of the oath administered to Polish soldiers, 1919-1939?

Caldric

Re: Polish Military Oath, 1919-1939

Post by Caldric » 16 Mar 2004, 06:59

sylvieK4 wrote:Can anyone post an english-language translation of the oath administered to Polish soldiers, 1919-1939?
That is a tough one a good question for the Quiz area. I looked high and low but no success.

I bet someone will find it now. :wink:

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 16 Mar 2004, 13:54

Thanks, Caldric. I've also been looking high and low, and recently received these translations from a gentleman online. There are three different versions, one for Christians, another for Jews and other non-Christians - with the exception of Moslems - and a third version for troops of the Islamic faith. (How many Moslem soldiers Poland actually had during the interwar period, I have no idea!)
Christians:

"I pledge before God almighty, One in His Holy Trinity, to be faithful to the land of my fathers, the Polish Republic (Rzeczpospolita Polska), and to never abandon our military Banners.

I pledge to defend the Constitution and the honour of the Polish soldier.

I pledge to accommodate to the Law and the President of the Polish Republic.

I pledge to faithfully carry out the orders of my commanders and superiors and to watch over military secrets.

I pledge to fight to the last breath for the cause of my country and to act in a manner enabling me to live and die like an upright Polish soldier.

So help me God and the Holy torment of His Son. Amen."

Jews (and all non-Christians except Moslems):

"I pledge before God almighty to be faithful to the land of my fathers, the Polish Republic, and to never abandon our military Banners.

I pledge to faithfully carry out the orders of my commanders and superiors and to watch over military secrets.

I pledge to fight to the last breath for the cause of my country and to act in a manner enabling me to live and die like an upright Polish soldier.

So help me God . Amen. "

Moslems:

"I pledge before the one and only God to be faithful to the land of my fathers, the Polish Republic (Rzeczpospolita Polska), and to never abandon our military Banners.

Bereh-etyoom Meene Allaheevy Vehreh-soolinee ille-tsleh-zeeneh a hett-detteh-oom meenel mash-oorkeene Bill Vawaghee, Tawa-ghee, Amin. "

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”