Polish officer

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Marcus

Polish officer

Post by Marcus » 14 Jul 2002, 23:12

Can anyone tell me the rank of this Polish officer?

/Marcus
Attachments
pre ww2 polish officer.jpg
Polish officer
pre ww2 polish officer.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 15 Jul 2002, 18:12

Marcus...

I believe that this is probably a Private first class (Starszy Szwolezer) of the 2nd Szwolezer (Light House) regiment.

There were three light horse regiments in the Polish Army - added to the 27 regiments of lancers, and 10 regiments of Mounted Rifles.

All had similar mission and organization, the differences merely tradition, with the Light House regiments as slightly more elite.

The Light Horse Regiments were distinctive by their round hats, as opposed to the four cornered “rogotywka” hat.

The 1st regiment had a crimson cap band, and was in Warsaw, often considered as a guard unit.

The 2nd had a white cap band - hence the rank insignia is not visible, which for a PFC would have been a white bar edged in red.

The 3rd Regiment had a golden yellow cap band.

All three had a cipher on the shoulder strap, which obscures the rank insignia.

I believe this photo is probably from the 1920s, and is curious because the collar pennons in regimental colors are not evident.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 15 Jul 2002, 18:16

Ogorek,

Thanks for that interesting answer.

/Marcus

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 21 Dec 2002, 14:31

Yes, is it PROBABLY. :D

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 21 Dec 2002, 16:48

Ogorek wrote:Marcus...

I believe that this is probably a Private first class (Starszy Szwolezer) of the 2nd Szwolezer (Light House) regiment.

There were three light horse regiments in the Polish Army - added to the 27 regiments of lancers, and 10 regiments of Mounted Rifles.

All had similar mission and organization, the differences merely tradition, with the Light House regiments as slightly more elite.

The Light Horse Regiments were distinctive by their round hats, as opposed to the four cornered “rogotywka” hat.

The 1st regiment had a crimson cap band, and was in Warsaw, often considered as a guard unit.

The 2nd had a white cap band - hence the rank insignia is not visible, which for a PFC would have been a white bar edged in red.

The 3rd Regiment had a golden yellow cap band.

All three had a cipher on the shoulder strap, which obscures the rank insignia.

I believe this photo is probably from the 1920s, and is curious because the collar pennons in regimental colors are not evident.
Yes.
U are right. I checked it in a book :)

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”