looking for a poster "Poland..."

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
lukeo

looking for a poster "Poland..."

Post by lukeo » 31 Jan 2005, 18:28

I am looking for a good quality of British poster "Poland - first to fight"

Could someone post it here?
I would be thankfull for any help.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 31 Jan 2005, 18:52

Here is one version from: http://www.imp.org.pl/plakaty-2.html

PolAntek

Re: looking for a poster "Poland..."

Post by PolAntek » 01 Feb 2005, 02:28

lukeo wrote:I am looking for a good quality of British poster ...
Just a small bit of additional info.

To the best of my understanding, this poster by artist Marek Żuławski was issued by the Polish Information Center out of New York in 1941 and is not British in origin. The Polish Information Center operated during the war years disseminating patriotic materials and news relating to Poland and the war effort as well as the situation in occupied Poland itself. It is possible that they had a British office as well, although I have an original copy of this poster as well as copies of their weekly publication “The Polish Review”, and a copy of their ‘magnum opus’ – The Black Book of Poland, and nowhere is Britain mentioned.

At risk of getting further off topic…. reading some of the material issued by this organization is most fascinating. The truth about the horrors of Nazi occupied Poland was being reported weekly by the Polish Information Center. However, it appears that many may have viewed their output as being sensationalistic propaganda. Yet it is all there in black and white – Auschwitz, Majdanek, and teh other camps, large scale executions of Poles and Jews, random ‘round ups’ of civilians – YEARS before the liberating Allies and the public at large discovered the horrific truth.

Maybe I’ll start a new thread on this and post some scans...

Agadanik

Re: looking for a poster "Poland..."

Post by Agadanik » 01 Feb 2005, 06:10

PolAntek wrote:
lukeo wrote:I am looking for a good quality of British poster ...
Just a small bit of additional info.

To the best of my understanding, this poster by artist Marek Żuławski was issued by the Polish Information Center out of New York in 1941 and is not British in origin. The Polish Information Center operated during the war years disseminating patriotic materials and news relating to Poland and the war effort as well as the situation in occupied Poland itself. It is possible that they had a British office as well, although I have an original copy of this poster as well as copies of their weekly publication “The Polish Review”, and a copy of their ‘magnum opus’ – The Black Book of Poland, and nowhere is Britain mentioned.

At risk of getting further off topic…. reading some of the material issued by this organization is most fascinating. The truth about the horrors of Nazi occupied Poland was being reported weekly by the Polish Information Center. However, it appears that many may have viewed their output as being sensationalistic propaganda. Yet it is all there in black and white – Auschwitz, Majdanek, and teh other camps, large scale executions of Poles and Jews, random ‘round ups’ of civilians – YEARS before the liberating Allies and the public at large discovered the horrific truth.

Maybe I’ll start a new thread on this and post some scans...
Antek, by all means - please do. Sounds most interesting and I for one know nothing about it.

rgds, -a

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”