Polish Cavalry Regiment Structure 1919-1921

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
sylvieK4

Polish Cavalry Regiment Structure 1919-1921

Post by sylvieK4 » 22 Feb 2005, 21:24

Does anyone have a breakdown of Polish Cavalry regiment structure during the Polish-Soviet War? For example, was the structure of a Cavalry regiment similar to that in place at the onset of the Second World War, with Saber and Rifle Companies?

How many soldiers were assigned support roles in Cavalry regiments of the day? (e.g. field cooks, medics, stretcher bearers, logistics supply).

Did all soldiers working within the framework of a Cavalry regiment - including unmounted support personnel - wear the Cavalry insignia on their uniforms, or was this reserved for actual horsemen?

Does anyone have any examples of early (1919-1921) Polish Cavalry uniform insignia? (Collar tabs, piping color, etc. Was this the same or different from later Cavalry insignia?)

Thanks.

RCW Mark

Post by RCW Mark » 24 Feb 2005, 09:51

I have a report on the 1920 cavalry written by a Frenchman accompanying the 1st cavalry division which gives its structure. I would be interested to have it corrected by any Poles who know better.

A Polish cavalry division was organised for command purposes only, it had no actual structure other than being two, sometimes three, brigades under a dozen or so staff.

A Brigade was made up of three cavalry regiments, two batteries of four horse guns and assorted supply and administration. Due to the extreme rapidity of the front in 1920 the "teeth" end virtually never got to see the "tail" end. In any case the supply situation was pretty woeful (although a Frenchman's view after the extremes of the Western Front might be a touch optimistic for the situation) and the brigade pretty much lived on their own during periods of action.

A Regiment had four lancer squadrons, a mounted-MG squadron and a technical squadron. The fighting strength was lucky to reach 500, and often as not was a lot less. The taczenka squadron likewise varied hugely in size. The technical squadron was supposed to supply the communications and support element, but in the absence of material and with the shortage of men it often fought alongside the others. There were telephones and a platoon to man them but the radios inevitably did not work. There was meant to be a doctor and a couple of orderlies. Most squadrons had a mobile kitchen.

There were no dismounted elements, and they would have been left behind if there had been in the constant movement. Even the ammunition and baggage carts for the regiments struggled to keep up with the brigade, which put pressure on how much ammunition the men could use.

In fact it was a criticism of the French attached to the Polish cavalry that not only did the units not contain any infantry support, which they did not consider unusual, but that the ulans did not operate in any sort of co-ordinated way with any infantry in the area.

Mark

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 24 Feb 2005, 19:30

Hi Sylvie,

I found some very interesting pages about Polish cavarly, although, I foung no english version :(
Materials provided by those pages is too big for me to handle the translation alone, you can still take a look:

http://www.kawaleria2rp.horsesport.pl/

Some usefull info, also giving details on some cavarly regiments from which one can draw some assumptions.

http://www.zurawiejki.prv.pl/

Unique stuff! They provide transcripts of *original* cavarly regulations (like how to ride a horse, how to use sabre or lance etc.). Language of these documents is in the fancy inter-war style with common motto "why are we proud and why should one cheerish being in cavarly" (that`s just my quote which describes the style of writing of the authors).

Original quote
Broń biała - szabla i lanca - to tradycyjna broń kawalerji, wyraża ducha zaczepnego, który zawsze cechował i cechować powinien nadal kawalerję polską.

Other example, for freshly (in 1920) created artillery cavarly divisions:

White weapons - sabre and lance - the traditional weapons of cavarly, describing it`s agressive spirit, which awlays marked, and should always mark polish cavarly.

From the previouse site, an example:

Propable regiment structure in 1939 (I suppouse it didn`t differ that much in 1920, although it was propably more chaotic and lacked men and equipment:)

Commander-vice commander- quartermaster-aide de camp-ordinance officer-communication officer-weapon officer-gas officer-commander of economical squadron-chief watchman-food supplies officer-paymaster-doctor-doc. of veterinary-chaplain-commander of supply cars-chief of office (chancellor)

then 4 squadrons, each one with 3 platoons + 1 special squadron with heavy machineguns (also 3 platoons), then 1 platoon with anti-tank guns, 1 platoon responisble for communication and... one bicycle platoon :)

There were slight differences depending on specific regiment.

You can find usefull description and pictures of weapons, insignia and sometimes outfits on those pages. I also wrote to the author of one of the pages passing your question. We`ll see. Cheers.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 24 Feb 2005, 20:43

Thank you, RCW Mark and Liluh, for your replies. They are very helpful. Liluh, I am looking forward to hear if the people at the other web site will say, as well. Again, this is a lot of good and helpful information. Thanks!

Ziemowit

Post by Ziemowit » 07 Apr 2005, 03:12

I am a bit late to reply to this topic, but I am new so since I have some information on the topic I thought I might as well just quote form the book, White Eagle Red Star by Norman Davies, referringto the Polish Cavalry:

"The 1st Polish Cavalry Division serves as an admirable illustration of the motley origins of the army as a whole. It consisted of six regiments. The 8th Uhlans were entirely 'Royal and Imperial' and were raised from the sons of the Galician gentry. The 9th Uhlans were also Galicians, although they boasted a more democratic tradition. Many of their officers had served in the Austrian Landwehr or in the Legions. They were fitted out with English uniforms. The 14th Uhlans were still more exotic. They were Russian by training and in large measure Russian by blood. They had been in the saddle for five years already, having fought in the World War on the Eastern front and in the Russian Civil War in the Kuban. They came to Poland with General Zeligowski. They intensely disliked the Austrian equipment with which they were issued. The officers retained their high Caucasian saddles, long reigns, short stirrups, and steeplechase style. The 1st (Krechowiecki) Uhlans had seen Russian service in the Pulavy Legion. The 2nd Hussars were former Austrian legionaries. The 16th Uhlans were Poznanians. They wore anitque uniforms, including high rogatywka hats surmounted by a red rosette. Their horses were unusually large and their Prussian equipment unusually heavy. Every man carried lance, sabre, bayonet, mask, entrenching tool, and canteen. On the move they clanked and rattled like a company of medieval knights. In all these regiments local traditions were strong, and national patriotism relatively weak. They were like six prodigical sons, born of the one Polish mother from three different fathers. They were first sent into battle in April 1920."

If you're interested I posted a battle description which involves some of these regiments against the Soviets... http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=74138

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 07 Apr 2005, 14:13

I am a bit late to reply to this topic, but I am new so since I have some information on the topic I thought I might as well just quote form the book, White Eagle Red Star by Norman Davies....
It's never too late to share good information! :) Many thanks for your post.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”