British admit the role of Polish intelligence during WWII

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
polskifone

Post by polskifone » 30 Dec 2005, 17:11

stcamp wrote: I don't think they make statements like this with out a reason.
Hi Steve,

The British Govenrment rarely does anything without good reason... but that rather depends on one's definition of good. The optimist in me says that finally they may have developed a feeling of guilt. The realist in me says its probably about shutting up the Poles perenial feeling of victimisation. Dificult to trade with a country that's still banging on about 60 year old risings that went wrong and things like that. Maybe a bit cynical, but probably true. Mrs Thatcher appologised for Yalta/Potsdam agreement some years ago. I think this is another example of setting the record straight - allbeit 60 years late. Trying to explain the usually unanswered question of how Britain could go to war over the invasion of one country - see that country lost - sold over to another state - be a cold-war enemy for half a century and then end up as an ally again in NATO.

Politics is a dark and gloomy world!

Regards, Mark

Panzer Regiment 6

Post by Panzer Regiment 6 » 07 Jan 2006, 15:57

This information has been around for years,many History programmes in the Uk state the Polish connection to the Enigma code.
The breaking of Enigma,like the whole of WW2 was a joint effort by many poeples,not just one.
Regards

szopen

Post by szopen » 08 Jan 2006, 19:30

Panzer Regiment 6 wrote:This information has been around for years,many History programmes in the Uk state the Polish connection to the Enigma code.
The breaking of Enigma,like the whole of WW2 was a joint effort by many poeples,not just one.
Regards
We are not saying here about Enigma. We are saying about Polish intelligence network which acted through whole war and on the whole continent.

Panzer Regiment 6

Post by Panzer Regiment 6 » 13 Jan 2006, 13:48

Again,this is well known here in the UK and to say we Brits try and take all the credit for WW2 intel is pure fiction.

polskifone

Post by polskifone » 21 Jan 2006, 19:36

Panzer Regiment 6 wrote:Again,this is well known here in the UK and to say we Brits try and take all the credit for WW2 intel is pure fiction.
I'm not so sure that it is. The Enigma thing has had a lot of publicity and I don't think anyone is saying that the Brits are taking all the credit... however - I would contend that outside a small group of historians interested in the subject, Poland contribution to WW2 is unknown. As I have said previously... many know about the Polish Pilots in the battle of Britain, Some know about Cassino, a few know about Market Garden. I would be surprised if anyone in the general public knew that Poland had spies during the war... let alone a huge network that had a major impact. For a variety of reasons Poland's role had been written out of the history books. Something that only now is being reversed.

Panzer Regiment 6

Post by Panzer Regiment 6 » 21 Jan 2006, 20:04

Well i can only write what i have read and seen here in the UK,there are many documentary`s/history programmes,news items on the subject of the Poles in WW2 but lets not overstate the importance as it was a joint effort all round to gather intelligence and it was no `one single` country that turned the tide.
Regards

polskifone

Post by polskifone » 21 Jan 2006, 21:23

Dear PR6 in Surrey... I'm a Sussex man myself.

I quite agree… but the question I would ask is since when? Before Poland joined NATO there was nothing. Look at “The World at War” the ITV series from the 1970. Count the references to the Poles… sound paranoid but… everyone knows about the Resistance in the West (viz. Secret Army/Allo Allo)… Everyone on this forum knows about the Poles but we are hardly typical. The fact that you are here would exempt you from the epithet of “general public” I am referring to the “man on the Clapham Omnibus”… or for that matter “the chattering classes”. It is a generalisation, but if you ask most people about WW2 and Poland what do you think they will say? You watch historical documentaries... do you thing the Big Brother crowd do?

For the last 50 years Poland contribution has by minimised both by poor historical reporting and by the wilful policy of governments (British/US and Soviet) for similar and yet opposing reasons. Look at the 40 anniversary of D-Day – the poles were not even invited to attend. An oversight that only one BBC reporter was brave enough to point out. (I think it was John Tusa if memory serves me)

I agree that the war was a combined effort… but by constantly and systematically omitting Poland from the equation it has led to a public perception that there was no effort from the Poles. Let me take a fatuous example. “The Great Escape”… look it up in Wikipedia and see what it says about StalagLuft III…
The Americans present were actually serving in either the British or Canadian military (mostly the RAF or RCAF, but John Dodge was in the British army). The POWs were mainly British, Canadian and Australian. (Refer to the prison camp link for more historical details.)
In terms of numbers this is true. The fiilm did have Charles Bronson playing "the Tunnel King" character who was a Polish Pilot. One pilot from many seem about right…yet…

Over 10% of the pilots shot by the Gestapo after the “Great Escape” were Poles. Go figure. Where did they come from? I don’t remember them in the film. Try and find that gem on any mainstream source of information. That you have to look for. This is one example from a whole stack. For a variety of reasons the Poles have not figured in popular British history since the end of WW2 (when they became such a thorn in the arse of the Foreign Office.)

It’s not that the Poles are a particularly sensitive bunch… but it would be nice to get the recognition that is deserved. It has taken a long time for the situation to improve… but starting from zero it could hardly have got worse.

Regards, M

henryk

Post by henryk » 21 Jan 2006, 21:56

I have visited the Royal Air Force Museum, London, about five times. There have been displays of Axis aircraft. However the only mention I ever saw of the Polish Air Force was a remote wall plaque put up by a Polish Organization.
In the Army Museum there was an exhibit displaying the German flag captured at Monte Cassino. There was no mention that it was captured by the Polish Army.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 22 Jan 2006, 11:02

Polskifone,
For the last 50 years Poland contribution has by minimised both by poor historical reporting and by the wilful policy of governments (British/US and Soviet) for similar and yet opposing reasons
This statement requires some backing with sources.

Then a question for all of the participants in this thread. How many of you can tell me about about some very important intel that was delivered the Danish resistance to the British?

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 22 Jan 2006, 11:20

Steen makes a good point that could also be extended to the Dutch, Belgians, Nowegians, Greeks, etc., etc. The fact is, the general public knows next to nothing about WW II except in the broadest outlines and much of what it "knows" turns out under examination to be wrong. I don't think there has been any systematic suppression of information specifically directed at the Poles. On the contrary, it may look that way at present expressly due to the fact that in the last two decades there has been something of a reawakening of interest of the West in Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe due to the contraction and disappearance of Soviet influence followed by a re-emergence of Eastern Europe onto the world stage. Don't be too surprised if resistance movements in the Baltic States becomes a hot item in a few more years. That's the way that the public consciousness moves.

Michael

polskifone

Post by polskifone » 22 Jan 2006, 20:16

I have no real argument with either Steen or Michael. The points they make are quite valid. My comments are more related to the Polish Army as a whole rather than a direct reference to the intelligence field.

The situation regards Poland has improved considerably over the last two decades… but as I said previously, that was not difficult since that situation has started from a situation of virtually zero.

If we look at Soviet historiography, what do they say about the Poles? Lt-Col Zygmunt Duszynski, the second-in-command of the 3rd Infantry Regiment, 1st Division hoisted a Polish flag next to three Soviet ones on Berlin's victory monument - the Siegessaeule - in the Tiergarten. The next day it had been taken down by order of the Soviet High Command. Nothing would be allowed to impinge on the idea of a Soviet victory. The situation remained much the same for the last 50 years. Looks at a Soviet book on “The Great Patriotic War”… the Red Army’s westward march was a war of liberation by the Soviet people. The Polish 1st and 2nd Armies comprised of ten full infantry divisions, with another four in training, five artillery divisions, a cavalry brigade, an armoured corps and an air corps of fighter, bomber and ground assault aircraft. In effect the Poles made up 13% of the manpower and 25% of the independent armoured corps of Soviet General Zhukov and General Koniev's drive on the capital of Germany. You would be hard pushed to find that in a pre-glasnost Soviet history book. However, to give the Soviets credit, when they held their victory parade in Red Square, representatives of the 1st and 2nd Polish Armies were invited to attend and marched alongside the victorious Red Army - this is more than can be said for the British response.

The contraction and disappearance of Soviet influence WAS the catalyst for a new interest in central Europe but, and particularly from the British perspective, it led to an and to the embarrassment of the Polish Armed Forces question that dominated so much of the British Foreign Office’s time from 1944 to1949. Because of many years of indoctrination by the British media, the British public viewed Moscow with a great deal of sympathy – a feeling the Poles under British command did not share. Many elements of the British press called the Poles “fascists” and “reactionaries” because they did not share the official policy of gratitude to “our gallant Soviet ally”. To be fair to the War Office, the Military establishment did what it could to alleviate the problems of the Poles. The Foreign Office was forced by its political masters, a very radical Labour party, to tow a line it did not really want to follow. After the Yalta debate one labour Member of Parliament stood up and said:

"The first point I want to make on that subject is this. What about the good faith of the USSR? I might have dilated upon that, and hon. Members would not have been surprised if I had given a number of instances of its good faith, but I do not wish to make my speech longer.... Does she [the USSR] want to absorb Poland herself or make a puppet of Poland? [...] I do not see for one moment why she should desire, in the very least, to make the Polish a puppet. It would only lead to endless squabbles with Great Britain and the United States. Further, the Soviet Union has shown very clearly in recent months that she values, at least as much as we do, the vital business of the three Great Powers remaining friends.... One of the amazingly remarkable things demonstrated in this war is that a multinational state like the Soviet Union, with a great variety of races and with a hideous history of repression in Tsarist days of almost all these races by one of them, has remained completely strong and coherent, so that the ordinary observer does not know that it is a multinational state. Remember that every nation within it has the absolute right to secede at any moment, but none has wanted to, because it is perfectly happy where it is."

With hindsight of the Cold War that was to come, it is difficult to believe that people actually thought this to be true. But there were many who wanted to hide away the Polish armed Forces under British Command so as not to rock the boat of post-war cordiality.

So preoccupied with Appeasing Moscow and the de-facto Polish Government in Warsaw was the British government, that in the final victory parade London in 1945 it did not invite the Polish Army in the West to attend. It sent an invitation to Warsaw - which promptly boycotted the ceremony. London Polish pilots were invited but they boycotted since the other military arms had been omitted. Result: there were no poles in the victory parade. The day before the parade Harold McMillan wrote to General Anders, GOC 2 Polish Corps:

"I tell you this frankly; that with all the legitimate joy and pride in every British heart will be mingled much sorrow and even shame. My thoughts will be with you and your troops."

When the Belgian towns of Bevernwaas and St Nicolas proposed to present banners to regiments of the 1st Armoured Division who had liberated them, the idea was vetoed by the Foreign Office:

"In the circumstances we feel that any public ceremonies of the nature contemplated by the Belgian town would be inappropriate at the present juncture."

The Foreign Office tried to persuade the Belgians to stop the presentation ceremonies or at least to tone them down so as not to draw attention to them. The Polish Armed Forces in the West had become a political embarrassment to be hidden away. In any case Foreign Office would not agree to GOC 1st Polish Corps, General Maczek or the Polish Chief of Staff, General Kopanski, attending.

And so the polish Armed forces slipped into obscurity. From 1947 any reference to “Polishness” were frowned upon. The Foreign Office became obsessive with the desire to obliterate any “foreignness” so that the Poles could slip into Britain without too much attention being drawn to them. Large sections of the British public did not want the “fascist” Poles to settle in Britain so it was easier to demobilise the troops, integrate them into British society, and hope that they would just go away. There were thousands of Polish Soldiers going to be settled in Britain. (Along with thousands more Displaced Persons from other countries; European Volunteer Workers;demobilised SS divisions). The British Government had to appease the left of its party as well as pander to the xenophobia of the right-wing.

The Poles made a request with the War Office to be allowed to fly Polish flags at Polish Resettlement Corps camps. Given the efforts made today to preserve ethnic and cultural diversity, flying flags would appear a reasonable enough request, the Foreign Office looked at it with horror. As Roper of the FO wrote to Major Roberts at the War Office:

"Frankly we do not like this. The flying of Polish flags would involve, no doubt, the usual ceremonies, and the whole thing will draw public attention to the foreignness of the men in the Polish Resettlement Corps, which is just what we are trying to get away from. They are a part of the British Army which is going to be absorbed into civilian life alongside British citizens.
If you agree, perhaps the British Advisory Staff could intimate to General Kopanski that they do not want to hear anymore of this proposal for the reason I have given."

– if we don’t mention the Poles, perhaps no one will see us sneek them in.

Another example: 30 years ago the Poles erected a monument to the Katyn murdered in Gunnersbury Cemetery in north London; the British Government refused to attend the unveiling ceremony on the 18th September, 1976, and forbade any British military representation on the day. This attitude drew angry protests from several quarters. Winston Churchill, grandson of the wartime premier, wrote indignantly in "The Times":

“The unveiling which is to be attended by thousands of British and Polish Comrades-in-Arms, as well as by a representative of the Government of the Unites States and many members of the Diplomatic Corps, is apparently to be boycotted by the British Government for fear of annoying the Soviet Union. Indeed the Government has gone further: it has refused a military band and forbidden serving officers from attending in uniform. A sad and shameful tribute to the sacrifice of the valiant ally for which Britain went to war in 1939."

Sir John Slessor, Marshal of the RAF, also wrote to "The Times" seething at the British reaction:

"For gross bad manners and craven ingratitude this is surely unbeatable. It is, alas, only one more example of the sort of thing that makes it difficult nowadays to be proud to be British."

Lets take a more modern example. The “World at War” produced by ITV in the 1970s. In the original programme “Genocide” about the liberation of Majdanek – the camp was liberated by the Red Army. In the more updated version “The Final Solution”– with vvery similar commentary by Eric Porter – the camp was liberated by the Poles. The list of these “oversights” is very long. Some might argue that it was from ignorance – others, less charitable, might argue that it was the response of a political establishment trying to play down some unpleasant Cold-War truthes.

– if we don’t mention the Poles, perhaps no one will ask why our onetime ally is now our enemy.

In conclusion, yes I agree that many other countries contributions to WW2 have been written out of the history books. My argument remains that of all the allied countries, only Poland (although some Czechs might disagree) was subject to a campaign, for varying and often conflicting reasons, of prolonged omission that is only now being righted.

Best Regards, Mark Ostrowski

My thesis:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/polisharmy/index.html

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 22 Jan 2006, 21:08

Mark,

I think that my point goes whether you are talking intel or the Polish army as a whole and in this respect the Polish army has been treated no different than other nations including the British. In example you read some popular US books about the war or see television documentaries were you get the impression that British wasn't in the war at all or at least that the war didn't start until 7th December 1941. This is not to single out the US but just to say you will find this every where.

Admittedly I will give you that the situation in the first post-war were difficult and you have at point here. However I would argue that it was a result of the political situation not because of any bad spirit. However you still have to show that this went on the next 50 years and this was a willful act.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
[url=http://www,generals.dk]The Generals of World War II[/url]

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 23 Jan 2006, 14:44

polskifone wrote:My comments are more related to the Polish Army as a whole rather than a direct reference to the intelligence field.
But my observation still holds. How many people know of the Greek Brigade in North Africa, just to use one example? What Steen says about the blinding effect of nationalism is true. It's entirely regrettable when it leads to the neglect of other nationalities and their contributions to ultimate victory, but that doesn't make it malicious in intent. And again, I don't see that Polish forces have been singled out in this way. Most respectable histories of the war, even including magazines directed at the general public, do not fail to mention them.

Michael

polskifone

Post by polskifone » 23 Jan 2006, 19:22

Oh, I quite agree. The Poles are as guilty of this as anyone else. Read some of the websites highlighting Poland’s contribution and one might think that Poland won the war by itself.

Nevertheless, (and at the risk of veering wildly off-topic), the fact that there are so many Poles on the web banging on about this subject is not all a result of collective paranoia but more a deep-seated belief that something somewhere is not quite right. By the way Michael, “Malicious in intent” is your choice of words not mine. I am not suggesting that Poland’s contribution was kept hidden for any spiteful reasons, more that it was more convenient to let the whole subject drop after the war. “Most respectable histories of the war, even including magazines directed at the general public, do not fail to mention them”… yes, I agree… but NOW. I’m sure you have history books in your collections going back to the 60 and 70s. Compare their coverage with any modern work. Things have moved on, to some extent due to Poles not willing to let the subject drop. I have used this example before: the 40th anniversary of D-Day. Looking back at the coverage from UK TV, one might be forgiven for thinking it was a NATO affair. Communist countries did not get an invite. Ten years later someone somewhere remembered? I would also agree with Steen that “…it was a result of the political situation not because of any bad spirit”. It was that very political situation that made it expedient to gloss over the whole question of Poland and that is what makes the Poles (with all due deference to Czechs everywhere) a unique situation. The fact that no-one really mentions the Greeks or the Danes is, in my humble opinion, more a value judgement or just bad historical methodology rather than for any “geo-political” reason. If I might crave your indulgance and quote from CCN talking about another forgotten episode:
Warsaw Rising: The Forgotten Soldiers of World War II
CNN Presents Classroom Edition
Educator Guide

Set your VCR to record CNN Presents Classroom Edition: Warsaw Rising: The Forgotten Soldiers of World War II when it airs commercial-free on Monday, July 25, 2005 from 4:00-5:00 a.m. on CNN.

Educator Guide

CNN Presents Classroom Edition

Curriculum Connections

Discussion Questions
[...]
5. Why do you think that, in the United States, so little is known or has been written about this act of resistance against Nazi Germany? What reasons are suggested in the program for why this story remains untold? Why do you think CNN Presents has chosen to air this story on the 60th anniversary of the Allied landing at Normandy, France, on D-Day? Do you think the timing of the airing of Warsaw Rising: The Forgotten Soldiers of World War II is significant? Why or why not?

6. Why do you think some historical events are recorded and remembered while others are not? Do your U.S. or World History textbooks describe the events of the Warsaw Rising? If so, how do they describe them? How does the coverage of these events compare with the coverage of better-known events like D-Day? How do you think the story of the Warsaw Rising should be documented in textbooks and history classes?

Suggested Activities
[...]
2. Share with students the following comment from Kathy Slobogin, managing editor of CNN Presents: "The story of the Warsaw Rising was largely forgotten. For the Allies it was an embarrassment, and for the Soviets it was inconvenient. The Allies didn't even invite Underground soldiers to the post-war victory parades. There was no official monument to the fighters in Warsaw until 1989. Through 'Warsaw Rising,' we are hopeful the world will start to remember." Ask students to consider what Slobogin means when she says this event was an "embarrassment" for the Allies and an "inconvenience" for the Soviets. Then, challenge students to create a memorial for the Polish resistance fighters. The memorial can be in the form of a physical structure, such as a monument or exhibit, a written work, such as a poem or an essay, or a work of art, such as a painting or piece of music. As they present their memorials, have students explain the rationale for their works and what lessons they think the international community might learn from them.
http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/2004/fyi/ ... aw.rising/

Good questions. Why are some events remembered and others not? When I was at school, no one had heard of the 1944 rising – and those that had were actually thinking about the much more widely publicised 1943 Ghetto Rising (a misconceptions that continues with some today). “For the Allies it was an embarrassment”. I will not digress in to how valid this view is. If the cap fits… and that really is the point. I am not to saying that the West has anything to be embarrassed over or not – but consistently it was easier to say nothing than to expose a situation that might open old wounds and expose the contradiction of going to war ostensibly to protect the freedom of a country but 6 years later find it still occupied by the “gallant Soviet ally” and nominally an enemy to NATO.

My final point is controversial. There is also a Polish school of thought that paints sinister motives for the slightly wonky perspectives of Poland. Some argue that not only were the Poles written out of the history books, they were also defamed. I do not necessarily subscribe to this view but if you Watch the Marvin Chomsky’s 1978 Holocaust or have a look at Claude Lanzmann’s Shoah, the views of the directors towards the Poles are quite clear. It has also prompted some angry vective. Read Nowicki, S. The defamation of the Poles, The Book Printer, Maryborough, Victoria, 1989 - One might also look at http://www.holocaustforgotten.com/lukas.htm
Come to think about it Jon Avnet’s Uprising in 2001 went down the same stereotype view of the Poles. One irate reviewer on IMDb wrote:
just saw this movie, it's totally unfair for the Poles. Why Jews ALWAYS saying bad stuff about the Poles ? They really should check their memory, did they forgot, that ONLY Poland for many ages was safe place for them in whole Europe ??? In every other country Jews was in prisons, they was executed, they was oppressed and so. France, Spain, Italy, Germany ... In Poland, they had peace ! That's why in Poland was so many Jews ! During II world war, Poles helped thousands of Jews to survive, and remember that for helping Jew there was only one punishment - DEATH. Think about that. But many Poles did it anyway ! Of course, some of the Poles was against Jews, some of them had good reasons, some was just bad people. People like that are in every country on the planet.
[…]
For France, they fought, and French ... well, they are good in holding their hands in the air. They never tried to fight, really FIGHT. Their "resistance" was a joke compare to ours. In Paris, they loved to shout "Viv la France" but .. nothing much more. We, lost by everyone, killed Germans. And we did it good.

But who want to remember this today. You ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250798/use ... s?start=10

I hasten to add: his words, not mine. His view of the Jews – not mine. The reason I quote him is to show that 60 years on Poles still have a number of ghosts that need to be exorcised. The fact that many Poles feel that they have either been ignored/unfairly represented/defamed cannot be a coincidence. I realise that this second thesis could open a whole can of worms so I propose to say nothing more about it (I repeat: I do not support this view wholeheartedly), but I stand by my first thesis that the Poles were ignored systematically during the Cold-War period: yes, not for malicious reasons, but that does not make it feel any better. Silence from a left wing establishment which could not believe that Stalin was as bad as the "fascist" Poles said he was. Followed by more silence – an attempt by the western allies to exculpate themselves of guilt over their betrayal of Poland to Stalin and decades of Soviet occupation.

Best Regards, Mark.

AdaOg

Post by AdaOg » 24 Jan 2006, 12:08

Excerpt from A Question of Honor
Prologue
They marched, twelve abreast and in perfect step, through the heart of bomb-pocked London. American troops, who were in a place of honor at the head of the nine-mile parade, were followed -- in a kaleidoscope of uniforms, flags, and martial music -- by Czechs and Norwegians, Chinese and Dutch, French and Iranians, Belgians and Australians, Canadians and South Africans. There were Sikhs in turbans, high-stepping Greek evzoni in pom-pommed shoes and white pleated skirts, Arabs in fezzes and kaffiyehs, grenadiers from Luxembourg, gunners from Brazil. And at the end of the parade, in a crowd-pleasing, Union Jack-waving climax, came at least 10,000 men and women from the armed forces and civilian services of His Britannic Majesty, King George VI.
Nearly a year earlier, the most terrible war in the history of the world -- six years of fire, devastation, and unimaginable death -- had finally ended. At the time there had been wild, spontaneous celebrations in cities all over the globe. But on this grey and damp June day in 1946, Great Britain's invited guests, representing more than thirty victorious Allied nations, joined in formal commemoration of their collective victory and of those, living and dead, who had contributed to it. As church bells pealed and bagpipes skirled, veterans of Tobruk, the Battle of Britain, Guadalcanal, Midway, Normandy, the Ardennes, Monte Cassino, Arnhem, and scores of less famous fights were cheered and applauded by more than 2 million onlookers, many waving flags and tooting toy trumpets. The marchers snapped off salutes as they passed the reviewing platform on the Mall, where the king, his queen, and their two daughters stood. Prime Minister Clement Attlee was alongside the royal family, but the attention of many was focused on Attlee's predecessor, Winston Churchill, who had led and inspired Britain through the final five years of the war.

As the Victory Parade's last contingents marched by, a thunderous roar was heard overhead. The crowds stared up at the leaden sky, transfixed, as a massive armada of aircraft -- bombers, fighters, flying boats, transports -- approached from the east at nearly rooftop level. Leading the fly-past was a single, camouflaged fighter -- a Hawker Hurricane, looking small and insignificant compared to the lumbering giants that flew in its wake. The Hurricane's pride of place, however, was unchallenged. If it had not been for this sturdy little single-seater and its more celebrated cousin, the Spitfire, the Victory Parade and the triumph it celebrated might never have occurred. In the summer and fall Of 1940, RAF pilots had flown Hurricanes and Spitfires against Adolf Hitler's Luftwaffe and had won the Battle of Britain. In so doing, they changed the course of the war and the very nature of history.

Standing along the parade route that day was a tall, slender, fair-haired man with the difficult name of Witold Urbanowicz. As he watched the Hurricane flash by overhead, a flood of memories returned to him. He had been up there in a Hurricane during the Battle of Britain. He had gazed down on this city when it was blazing with fire. His squadron had become a legend of the battle. On the first day of the London Blitz -- Hitler's attempt to bomb the British civilian population into submission -- Urbanowicz's squadron was credited with shooting down no fewer than fourteen German aircraft, a Royal Air Force record. Setting records had already become a habit for 303 Squadron -- or the "Ko?ciuszko Squadron," as it was also known. In its first seven days of combat, the squadron destroyed nearly forty enemy planes. By the Battle of Britain's end, it was credited with downing more German air craft than any other squadron attached to the RAF. Nine of its pilots, including Urbanowicz, were formally designated as aces. Writing in Collier's three years after the battle, an American fighter pilot described 303 as "the best sky fighters I saw anywhere."

Yet, despite its accomplishments in the war, none Of 303's Pilots took part in the fly-past. None marched in the parade. For they were all Polish -- and Poles who had fought under British command were deliberately and specifically barred from the celebration by the British government, for fear of offending Joseph Stalin. A week earlier, ten members of Parliament had written a letter of protest against the exclusion. "Ethiopians will be there," the letter declared. "Mexicans will be there. The Fiji Medical Corps, the Labuan Police and the Seychelles Pioneer Corps will [march] -- and rightly, too. But the Poles will not be there. Have we lost not only our sense of perspective, but our sense of gratitude as well?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a June day six years earlier, Winston Churchill had risen in the House of Commons to declare: 'The battle of France is over. I expect that the battle of Britain is about to begin." From the first, the new prime minister, who had been in office barely a month, made clear that Britain would not follow France into ignominy: there would be no British capitulation to Germany. "We shall fight on the beaches," Churchill famously said. "We shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender."
The courage and character that Churchill pledged for Britain had already been demonstrated by Poland. It was the first country to experience the terror of the Nazi Blitzkrieg, the first to fight back, the first to say -- and mean -- "We shall never surrender." Poland fell in October 1939, but its government and military refused then, and refused for the rest of the war, to capitulate. In a remarkable odyssey, scores of thousands of Polish pilots, soldiers, and sailors escaped Poland -- some on foot; some in cars, trucks, and buses; some in airplanes; some in ships and submarines. They made their various ways first to France, thence to Britain to continue the fight. For the first full year of the war, Poland, whose government-in-exile operated from London, was Britain's most important declared ally.

When dozens of Polish fighter pilots, including 303 Squadron, took to the air during the Battle of Britain, the RAF already had lost hundreds of its own fliers, replaced in many cases by neophytes who barely knew how to fly, much less fight. The contribution of the combat-hardened Poles, especially the men of 303, was vital. Indeed, many believe it was decisive. "If Poland had not stood with us in those days. . . the candle of freedom might have been snuffed out," Queen Elizabeth remarked in 1996.

In all, some 17,000 Polish airmen fought alongside the RAF during the war. But the pilots and air crews were not the only Poles to play an important part in the conflict. The small Polish navy participated in several important operations. Polish infantry and airborne units ought in Norway, North Africa, Italy, France, Belgium, and Germany. By the war's end, Poland was the fourth largest contributor to the Allied effort in Europe, after the Soviet Union, the United States, and Britain and its Commonwealth. "If it had been given to me to choose the soldiers I would like to command," said Field Marshal Harold Alexander, commander of the Allied forces in North Africa and Italy, "I would have chosen the Poles."

Perhaps as significant as its role in combat was Poland's contribution to the Allies' greatest intelligence coup -- deciphering the German military codes generated by the Enigma machine. Only Churchill and a handful of other British officials knew at the time of the Victory Parade that Polish cryptographers had provided the initial breakthrough for cracking Enigma -- with incalculable importance to the outcome of the war.

And what did the Poles want in return? "We wanted Poland back," said Witold Urbanowicz. Throughout the war, Winston Churchill, moved by the Poles' valor, grateful for their help, and horrified by the Nazis' unprecedented savagery in their homeland, promised they would get it. "We shall conquer together or we shall die together," Churchill vowed to the Polish prime minister, General W?adys?aw Sikorski, after the fall of France. Meeting Polish troops as they arrived in England in June 1940, British war secretary Anthony Eden declared: "We shall not abandon your sacred cause and shall continue this war until your beloved country be returned to her faithful sons."

Yet, as the great long line of marchers proceeded down the Mall on that June morning in 1946, and as the crowds cheered and basked in the postwar world's rebirth of freedom, proud Poland remained in the shadows. Despite Eden's pledge, its "sacred cause" had been abandoned by its two closest allies, Britain and the United States. One occupier, Hitler, had been replaced by another Joseph Stalin. And on that gala day, Polish war heroes like Urbanowicz and his follow 303 pilots -- once called "the Glamor Boys of England" -- were forced to stand on London sidewalks and watch.

One young Polish pilot looked on in silence while the parade passed. Then he turned to walk away. An old woman standing next to him looked at him quizzically. "Why are you crying, young man?" she asked.

Copyright © 2003 Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud

http://www.polandinexile.com/vp1.htm

THE VICTORY PARADE.

"A specially warm tribute of applause was forthcoming from the crowds all along the Victory Parade route as the troops of our Allies marched by; and as they passed the saluting base, the war leaders grouped there beside the royal dais made grateful acknowledgement to the flags of countries whose men had fought side by side with our men. Headed by the Guards band the representatives of Allied forces were led by the United States, whose contingent included the Marine Corps. After the American contingent came the troops of China, occupying the place in the procession originally reserved for USSR, and behind them cane contingents with a bewildered variety of flags and uniforms - France, Belgium, Brazil, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Greece, Iran, Iraq, Luxembourg, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Norway and Transjordan. Apart from the USSR, only Poland and Yugoslavia were not represented among our Allies...."

1. 2.

You will find the above paragraph in The Illustrated London News - Victory Parade Number, issued June 15, 1946. It’s almost word for word to what we had heard on radio at the time, as angry and astonished, we listened the commentaries of the BBC man. How the hell it came about; we the first ally of England, fighting side by side the British soldiers from the very beginning of the war, and now, when it’s all over, we are not represented? Argentine, who declared war on Germany practically a few days before Germany surrendered, and now she is represented on the parade? Did the British soldiers ever see the soldiers of Iraq or Iran, or Mexico for that matter, fighting beside then? And how about that USSR not being represented? Only the British seemed surprised, for anybody who knew anything about the war, knew that first of all, USSR was an Ally of Nazi Germany - the fact that caused the war in the first place. The USSR — let’s call her Russia, for that’s what she always was - was practically forced to accept proposed partnership of its or hers "capitalistic" enemy, when Hitler, her ally, stabbed her in the back. She was a reluctant Ally from the beginning. Winston Churchill, the Prime Minister of Great Britain, with an eye open for any help, even from "the devil himself", knew exactly how to take advantage of the new political situation. Stalin, suffering initial defeats on the front, had no choice. And thus, an old imperialist and ferocious communist became reluctant Allies. In the darkest moments of desperate defeats, Stalin never abandoned an idea of turning tides of defeats into the conquest of Europe. And now, with a half of Europe under the boots of the Red Army "soldats" he had no intention of conducting world’s affairs with his war Allies - he will have his own Victory Parade in Moscow.
Yugoslavia, under protection of it’s own partisan-communist Tito, wasn’t ready to expose too soon it’s tendency of being independent some day, there fore, for the moment, she’ll dance to the tune of the Kremlin chiming "kurants" - she’ll take part in a parade in Moscow.
But Poland, which was in the eye of the gathering war storm from the beginning...? Perhaps we should start where it all started.... in the Munich Conference, in September 1938. The then Prime Minister of Great Britain, Chamberlain, returned from conference with a scrap of paper in his hand - Peace in our Time. Pretty soon he realized that Hitler had in his mind just the opposite - War in his Time. And so, day after day, of constant Hitler’s demands, the Government and War cabinet of Britain came to conclusion, that there was no stopping the usurper, the war was inevitable.

In May, 1939, agreement of mutual assistance was signed between Great Britain and Poland. That only infuriated Hitler. And so, on the first of September, very early morning, when the sun was still under horizon and frogs croaked in bull-rushes, the Second Great World War began.
Poland was defeated in three weeks. In the spring of 1940, France - an Ally of Poland and England as well as the biggest military force at that time - was defeated in four weeks. The Polish Army and Air Force, reorganized in France from September remnants and volunteers, was evacuated to Britain, together with whatever left from British Expeditionary Force. The new Polish Army and Air Force began to organize all over again. The land army, though under British Supreme Command, internally remained under Polish command, but the Air Force, became the integral part of RAF -"rock, stock and barrel". We wore the British uniforms, ranks insignia, saluted the British and each other, the British way. If one saw a man in royal blue ahead of him, he didn’t know to what nationality he belonged.
The British RAF authorities, including the "big chief", Lord Dowding, were skeptical as to the abilities of Poles , flying modern machines, in spite of the fact, that many Poles already flew the French Morans and others, which were not inferior to Hurricanes or first models of Spitfire. But when, during the training flight, the Po1es shot down three or four Messerschmits, the opinion as to their abilities, somewhat changed.
That was early summer of 1940 in France, but in England the relatively action-mild spring, turned to hot summer. And sometime in July, volens nolens, the Battle of Britain began. September l5th, the Germans reached their day of no return. Poles in number of 139 took part in that struggle and shot down 203 enemy planes, thus contributed well to Churchill’s famous: Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed by so many, to so few." But political amity between England and Po1and, soon changed. In June 1941, the bosom friends, Hitler and Stalin, were at their throats. Thus, more per forza than per amore, England got herself more powerful Ally. The problem was, that this new friend of England, was not only deadly enemy of Poland, but also had his eyes on her property.
The whole world took a deep breath, as Hitler said, but Eng1and bean to breath easier; the whole fury of nazism as promised in " Mein Kampf", turned it’s eyes towards the East. From now on, the two words "Eastern Front", will dominate the political scene until the end of the war. In December 1941, Japan attacked USA, and Germany declared war on USA - so much better for England, one Ally more. But the main action of USA was on the Pacific Ocean, but in defense of England, it contributed The F1ying Army. From then on, until the Invasion in June 1944, RAF and US Air Force, will be the only forces on the "Western Front". As the war drugged on, it became clearly evident, that the Easter Front was going to decide the fate of Europe - Stalin knew it, Churchill knew it and Roosevelt knew it; and they all knew, that unless England and USA open the "Second Front", as Stalin constantly demanded, somebody will have to pay him for his effort of saving the capitalists fro total annihilation.
There is nothing more rewarding, than nice piece of real estate. Since Stalin’s requests for the Second Front, kept on falling on the deaf ears of his Western Allies, he knew that Churchill and Roosevelt will be less obstinate in compensating him with piece of Poland. In December 1945, the grand trio - Churchill, Roosevelt and Sta1in - met in Tehran for the first time. It was there, when Stalin put the map of Europe on table and with sharp red pencil, delineated the new borders between USSR and Poland after the war.

The writer of this article is not historian, nor a cool political scientist; he is a simple man and puts his thoughts in simple terms. He doesn’t know exactly who agreed first to Stalin’s proposition, but he remembers him and some of his colleagues listening to BBC and Churchill relating the above matters in the House of Commons. Russian’s demands, he said, were "right and just". We hard1y be1ieved our ears. Here, our great Ally, almost semi god, good friend, is rewarding our deadly enemy with our territory, for his efforts of defeating our common enemy. Chills froze our hearts, and these are not empty words - that was our native land being bargained.
And thus, Poland was pushed on a slippery, political skid row. Stalin was like a professional beggar - you gave him once, he will outstretch his hand and asks for some more. And since Churchill and Roosevelt were generous, every time he got something. Roosevelt’s appearances on all conference were important due to the fact that USA was an economic furnace, fueling its Allies with all sorts of goodies. Many people believed that he couldn’t care less about Europe at the time, with Japan being his problem. For Churchill, as he loved to brag, Europe was the cross on his shoulders.

Battles at Stalingrad and at Kurks on the Eastern Front broke the backbone of the German armies. Slow, deadly, Napoleonic retreat of the German armies began. And as the Red Army mowed West, Stalin’s appetite increased. One conference after another, each time his demands were "reluctantly" approved by Churchill and seconded by Roosevelt. Half of Poland was already granted to him, but to get to Berlin he had to swallow the rest of Poland. Oh, yes! Of course! Poland was going to be "sovereign, independent and absolutely democratic", but somewhat tinted red, to Stalin’s vision of all democracies.
On January 17, 1945, the Red Army "liberated" Warsaw. Two days later, pro-communist government established by Stalin, assumed control over "free" Poland. On February 15, the last Allies Conference in Yalta took place. Stalin achieved all he wanted, and perhaps, to appease the guilty conscience" of his partners in connection with Poland, relented to let the communist government of Poland play democracy "the British sty1e" until its boys, the last Polish soldiers, airmen and sailors in West return home.
On July 5th, Great Britain and USA recognized the communist regime in Poland. Unless you are one of those who were there, you will never know what it means to be suddenly in the limbo - nobody wants you, and you have nowhere to go. Nevertheless, we were not fooled. Many of us had experience in the "Siberian democracy". Yet for various reasons, many of us chose to return.

It must be said, that Great Britain, hosting so many thousands if not millions of people of different nationalities for five years - though knowing the reasons why they were there, and tolerating their foreign peculiarities - was really glad to see them off goodbye. All the pent-up animosities and prejudices accumulated through the wartime, just waited to be vent on something or somebody. The country was short practically of everything, from food and fuel to.... ladies underwear. And here, the thousands of "gallant" soldiers; whose country was "free, independent and democratic", decided to stay here. Only a few Britons knew and understood why these "bloody foreigners" didn’t want to go home. The rest of the public, just simply wouldn’t care.
It also must be said, that the above fact caused a great dilemma for the British Government. It tried and mostly succeeded in finding work and homes for those who decided to stay in England. It also paid for the bonvoyage for those who decided to emigrate. But before the administrative machinery of such huge venture went into action, as never before, we had a chance to find and see the other side of the civilized British society. And only those who lived in the British colonies were not taken aback by hue and cry: "Polacks go home! We don’t want you here!"
Even in the best of times, during the war comradeship, we who flew in British squadrons, always felt as being on the other side of the invisible barrier; them and us. No doubt that the superior British upper lip, has it’s "good points", and can be quite attractive on occasional, social encounters, but unless it’s subdued and under control, it betrays the ugliest trait of character. After such encounter, no Briton is quite the same.

Until this day, the writer of this essay has hundreds of newspapers cutouts, depicting the ferocity of those very unpleasant days. And no matter how well he tries to rationalize those events, the image of the British society, was tarnished once and for all. It was then that we understood, what it meant to be some dark skin colonial.
And it was in such circumstances and atmosphere, when in May, as I recall, some of us heard and red in papers, of the forthcoming Victory Parade. Quite frankly, we accepted it with a proverbial "shrug of shoulders" - THEY will not invite US anyway. Hadn’t we fought for that victory? We wanted to go but the invitation was not forthcoming. And then, a week or so later, a slap in the face - only the pilots who took part in the Battle of Britain were to be invited. Stunned? No. Surprised? Not quite, for almost a year now, we went through "Polacks this, Polacks that ". Despite all this disappointments, incredibility, and all that, some of us felt, that there was some kind of reason for British acting in so "un-gentlemanly" way. Though by then, every Englishman was a S.O.B. in our eyes, some still looked for bright sides. Those invited refused the invitation and stated without hesitation: contingents representing each service or none at all. And so, none it was.

A bit of time lapsed, before the reasons came out to surface. Since Great Britain already recognized new Polish government in Poland, and thousands of Polish servicemen, legally Polish citizens, were still in England, it would be diplomatically correct, to invite a contingent of each service from Poland, and together, in fraternal unisons with the "local" soldiers, take part in Victory Parade in London.
At the time, we couldn’t get over the fact, that the British Government, dealing with Stalin for several years, were so naive as to think that the so called "Polish government totally subservient to USSR, would sent it’s contingents, to join their compatriots in England. We hated the communists, especially the Polish ones, and would rather vegetate abroad, than to return home and be dominated by them. Later on, we heard some rumors, that apparently, the Polish authorities were ready to sent a contingent of men, but at last moment, received a "message" from Moscow: " What’s going to happen, if your soldiers get captivate by fascists in England and never return?" That did it. As I said, it was probably just a spiteful gossip, but there is a kernel of truth.
We speculated a lot concerning the above, but in the end came conclusion, that British were not naive at all, they new exactly what they were doing; running so vast an empire, has taught them a lesson or two. What we thought might have been diplomatically correct, proved to be diplomatically expedient. To put it bluntly: if you don’t want to come here, and you who are here don’t want to go there, the hell with you all.

As I am leafing through the yellowing pages of the London News Magazine, and looking at the sepia photos of the marching columns of the Allies servicemen, it’s the illustrious ones, watching the parade and taking all the salutes that draw my attention; the Royal Couple on the saluting base and Winston Churchill, sitting below.
As I recall, they were the most frequent and important visitors of our squadrons during the war. Were they aware of the fact that the first and loyal friend was not represented among the victorious Allies? For if they were, and I am sure they were, what were they thinking? To what degree were they responsible for that fact? If the Royal Couple felt guilty, they could not do much about it. Undeniable master of this parade was Winston Churchill, who pulled all the strings. True, he was out of the office at the time, but he carried such a prestige on his shoulders that one word from him could have changed the decision of the Parade Commissioners. If the communist Poland does not want to send its contingent to London, to take its part in the Parade, let those soldiers who are still in England to march side by side, as they fought side by side, with British soldiers. But that was not to be so. Churchill knew perfectly well, that the Communist Government in Warsaw was just bunch of Kremlin’s stooges, the government he helped to create, and the real master of Poland was "uncle Joe". Perhaps it was in interest of England not to irritate, the new master of the half of the Europe, but Churchill’s whole political carrier was to take decisions against the established scheme of the things. Surely, one more irritation of Stalin would not hurt either of them.

We all know, that in political games, when one of the partners becomes just a marginal affair, it’s the personal relations with that partner that decides the further course of events. The well-known fact is, that Churchill didn’t like Poles. Some parts of his Story of the Second World War (Six volumes!), as well as his friend Sir Alexander Cadogan’s diary of 1938-1945, reek – to put it gently – with negatives about Poles. Perhaps it was caused by their relations with some of the members of the Polish Government in Exile in London? Some of its members were sincerely disliked by the Poles themselves, who saw them as a clique of nationalists, with the hunchbacks full of animosities from way back, constantly bickering among themselves and everybody else. Churchill and Cadogan could have been influenced by this fact. Perhaps the spoon of Polish tar spoiled the political honeymoon with the first of England’s Allies.

Not so far from London, there was RAF Northolt, where during the Battle of Britain Poles used to take off to defend the British skies. It was there, that long after the war, Polish airmen themselves, not the grateful Great Britain, erected the monument for those who never returned. It carries an epitaph:

We gave our souls to God, Our hearts to Poland, Our bodies to the British soil.

That about tells the whole story, why those who remained after the war, and those who are still alive, were never invited to Victory Parade. Time gradually heals all the scars, but memories stay forever.

Rudolf Falkowski.

http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla/Victory_parade.html

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”