The role of the Wladyslaw Spielman in the Revolt of Warzaw.

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Topspeed

The role of the Wladyslaw Spielman in the Revolt of Warzaw.

Post by Topspeed » 05 Jul 2005, 10:07

I am wondering what was the role of the Wladyslaw Spielman in the Revolt of Warzaw. Having seen the Pianist and realizing that he was organizing the jewish revolt in the ghetto. I was inspired by the movie, but does it hold back something ?

How accurate is the movie ? Does the book of/by him open new views ?

Stephan

Post by Stephan » 11 Jul 2005, 12:39

I saw only the second part, him hiding and the end. Was he really organizing the uprising? He didnt fight, he hided and looked at the fighting the whole time I saw him.

Yes, as I understand it the film was quite as the book - ie supposed to be truthfully.

Eugene (J. Baker)

Post by Eugene (J. Baker) » 11 Jul 2005, 16:16

Guys, don't interpret movies as truth.

Stephan

Post by Stephan » 12 Jul 2005, 00:19

Eugene (J. Baker) wrote:Guys, don't interpret movies as truth.
This book was his personal memories - and written already about 1946 with fresh memory. The book supposed to be one of the more accurate memories, unafflicted also by political reasons - as the communist take over came about 1947-48.

So if the film followed near the book - therefore the film was also almost half-documentary - much more then most usual screenplays.

szopen

Post by szopen » 12 Jul 2005, 09:34

AFAIK Spielman in movie did not organize revolt. As other have said, he was just hiding and firt he saw Ghetto fightings (from outside, it seems) and then Warsaw Uprising. The scene when he looks at panorama of Warsaw destroyed after Warsaw Uprising was quite moving (ironically, one of reviewers thought it was panorama of only the ghetto which shows how much westerners know about our history)

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”