Polish WWII spies provided almost half of Brits intelligence

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Liluh

Polish WWII spies provided almost half of Brits intelligence

Post by Liluh » 17 Jul 2005, 15:57

A report by Anglo-Polish historians reveals that 44% of information collected by British intelligence was collected by Polish spies.

British Foreign Minister, Jack Straw, commented that the report, "leaves absolutly no doubt about the crucial role that Polish intelligence played in winning the war. It helps set the historical record straight."
Taken from:

http://www.radio.com.pl/polonia/article ... =24739&j=2

I`ll just add that the report is going to be officially released somewhere in september this year.
The comitee of Anglo-Polish historians started their work three or four years ago by jumping straight into deep water - British National Archives which are, even 60 years after the war, still classified.

I had a look on some quite interesting articles in local papers and all give some light for this, totallly unknown, episode of the war. If any of you are interested I can give some interesting quotes. Yet, as mentioned, the report still isn`t released so the opinions in articles may differ from what we are going to read later this year.

Cheers,

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 17 Jul 2005, 18:24

Without intending to demean the bravery and astuteness of Polish agents wherever they might have been, something about that figure smells fishy. Exactly what intelligence was it that the Poles provided 44% of? British Intelligence (at all levels covering several organizations) was collecting intelligence by many means, some of them technical, most of them scarcely involving Polish agents if at all. So, to this point, it sounds like the claim has chosen a select class of intelligence to examine for the claim. I will be interested to see what the full report will have to say.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 17 Jul 2005, 19:18

Please use the already excisting thread at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=81019

Best
Steen Ammentorp

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”