Destiny of a Polish Armored Train

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Kim Sung

Destiny of a Polish Armored Train

Post by Kim Sung » 12 Aug 2005, 04:37

Before the outbreak of WW2, Polish army had 10 armored trains, among which No. 53 train 'Śmiały'(bravery in English, correct spellng?) had to experience sad destiny.

It was equipped with two 100mm cannons, two 75mm cannons, and 22 machine guns, having 170 crews.

In the morning of September 1, 1939, a Polish cavalry unit with the artillery support of 'Śmiały' defeated an attacking German 4th Panzer divison. However, while 'Śmiały' was going to move to other area to fight against the other German attack after this first battle, the defeated German Panzer regiment rushed again. Germans broke through the defense line of the Polish cavalry and, at last, advanced to railroad line. When they were supplying their tanks with oil, 'Śmiały' rushed back.
Surprised, Germans began to flee with high casualties.

On this day, German 4th Panzer divison lost more than 40 tanks, ending their first attack as a complete failure because of the Polish monster 'Śmiały'.

'Śmiały' fought against the German 10th Panzer division on September 14, and it fell to the Sovet hands in the battle of Lwov on September 18~22.

The captured 'Śmiały' was used this time by the red army. But, it was captured again by Germans on September 1941. Germans designated it as Amored Train No. 10 and used it in battles against the Soviets.

However, 'Śmiały' was destroyed in a Soviet air raid on March 1944 in the battle of Koveli. I think it was the saddest destiny that a weapon of an occupied country could experience, symbolizing the destiny of Poland...

*I have only some computer graphic pictures of 'Śmiały'. Do you have any photos or additional info?

Durand

Post by Durand » 12 Aug 2005, 05:21

Hallo killchola,

There is not much on Nr. 53, but the following links may be of interest:

http://armybook.com/summary.html?code=0103014r19

http://derela.republika.pl/armtrain.htm

With regard to Nr. 53 after its capture:

Further service:
This was the end of "I Marszalek", but not the end of the train itself, though. The armoured train was captured by the Soviets, repaired and put into service as BEPO (Bronyepoyezd - armoured train) of the 77th NKVD Regiment from the 10th NKVD Division. The division was used in an occupation service in former eastern Polish territories, which had just became "Western Soviet Ukraine" at that time. In June 1941, the train was stationed in Ivano-Frankovsk (formerly Stanislawow), south-east of Lviv, commanded by Lt. I. D. Turganov (it is noteworthy, that former Polish train nr.53 "Smialy" was stationed nearby, as BEPO of the 75th Rgt. of the same division). The Soviet 12th Army of the South-West Front operated in that area. After German attack on 22 June 1941, the train was supporting the withdrawing 77th NKVD Regiment. On 5 July 1941, the train was fighting against German tanks, and according to Soviet sources, destroyed or immobilised a few. On the 7th July, the train, after running out of ammunition, was left and blown up by the crew.
...Still further service (PZ 10b and PZ 11):
The damages could not be severe, though, because after a few months the armoured train was repaired, rebuilt and put into the German service in December 1941. The Germans formed one strong armoured train, Panzerzug 10 of two Polish armoured trains, captured on the Soviets. Panzerzug 10 consisted of two independent parts: Kampfzug A (former train nr. 53 "Smialy"; BEPO of the 75th NKVD Rgt) and Kampfzug B (PZ 10b; former train nr. 51 "I Marszalek"; BEPO of the 77th Rgt). Panzerzug 10b had two original artillery wagons of "I Marszalek" and initially also the original armoured locomotive series Ti3. In June 1942 the train received new infantry wagons and German locomotive. During all the service, the train was used in the Eastern Front, and was damaged a few times.

On 31 July 1943 Panzerzug 10 was split into two separate units: Kampfzug A (former train nr.53) remained PZ 10, while Kampfzug B (former train nr.51) was designated Panzerzug 11. In summer of 1944, Panzerzug 11 took part in a retreat combat. Finally in the end of 1944, it was operating in south-eastern Poland, in Kielce area. Panzerzug 11, former Polish "Pierwszy Marszalek", ended its combat career on 13 January 1945 near Checiny (a small town near Kielce, with an interesting castle ruins), abandoned by the crew, when it could not retreat before advancing Soviets, due to a destroyed bridge over the Nida river.

http://derela.republika.pl/marszal.htm

The following link provides additional information regarding Panzerzug:

http://pibwl.republika.pl/pz10.htm

Best Regards,

Durand

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Re: Destiny of a Polish Armored Train

Post by Christoph Awender » 12 Aug 2005, 06:37

killchola wrote:Before the outbreak of WW2, Polish army had 10 armored trains, among which No. 53 train 'Śmiały'(bravery in English, correct spellng?) had to experience sad destiny.

It was equipped with two 100mm cannons, two 75mm cannons, and 22 machine guns, having 170 crews.

In the morning of September 1, 1939, a Polish cavalry unit with the artillery support of 'Śmiały' defeated an attacking German 4th Panzer divison. However, while 'Śmiały' was going to move to other area to fight against the other German attack after this first battle, the defeated German Panzer regiment rushed again. Germans broke through the defense line of the Polish cavalry and, at last, advanced to railroad line. When they were supplying their tanks with oil, 'Śmiały' rushed back.
Surprised, Germans began to flee with high casualties.

On this day, German 4th Panzer divison lost more than 40 tanks, ending their first attack as a complete failure because of the Polish monster 'Śmiały'.

'Śmiały' fought against the German 10th Panzer division on September 14, and it fell to the Sovet hands in the battle of Lwov on September 18~22.

The captured 'Śmiały' was used this time by the red army. But, it was captured again by Germans on September 1941. Germans designated it as Amored Train No. 10 and used it in battles against the Soviets.

However, 'Śmiały' was destroyed in a Soviet air raid on March 1944 in the battle of Koveli. I think it was the saddest destiny that a weapon of an occupied country could experience, symbolizing the destiny of Poland...

*I have only some computer graphic pictures of 'Śmiały'. Do you have any photos or additional info?
Sounds like a little bit exagerated action of this polish armoured train. It is correct that 4.Pz.Div. was not able to reach all objectives but this was more because of the difficult terrain and the not arriving Army engineers than the polish armoured train. The division did not lose 40 tanks on this day. The divisional history reports for this and the connected engagement with the armoured train 22 KIA, 27 WIA of I./Schützenregiment 12.

\Christoph

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 12 Aug 2005, 10:09

killchola wrote:Before the outbreak of WW2, Polish army had 10 armored trains, among which No. 53 train 'Śmiały'(bravery in English, correct spellng?) had to experience sad destiny.
Close. "Śmiały" means brave in English. It's an adjective.
Christoph Awender wrote:Sounds like a little bit exagerated action of this polish armoured train. It is correct that 4.Pz.Div. was not able to reach all objectives but this was more because of the difficult terrain and the not arriving Army engineers than the polish armoured train. The division did not lose 40 tanks on this day. The divisional history reports for this and the connected engagement with the armoured train 22 KIA, 27 WIA of I./Schützenregiment 12.

\Christoph
And according to Polish reports the train surprised a German armoured collumn while refueling. The tanks hit by 100 mm shells simply were blowing up.
This train was suborinated to Wołyńska Cavalry Brigade.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 12 Aug 2005, 12:04

Musashi wrote:
Christoph Awender wrote:Sounds like a little bit exagerated action of this polish armoured train. It is correct that 4.Pz.Div. was not able to reach all objectives but this was more because of the difficult terrain and the not arriving Army engineers than the polish armoured train. The division did not lose 40 tanks on this day. The divisional history reports for this and the connected engagement with the armoured train 22 KIA, 27 WIA of I./Schützenregiment 12.

\Christoph
And according to Polish reports the train surprised a German armoured collumn while refueling. The tanks hit by 100 mm shells simply were blowing up.
OK sorry forget my above post. The 4.Pz.Div. was stopped and lost over 40 tanks

\Christoph

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 18 Aug 2005, 06:38

An authentic example of the regimental badge. Tombak silver plated, one part cut out construction. diam.: 45.8 mm; screw-back fastening system. Wine-red silk backing. Very rare and desirable badge. Extensively reproduced.
Attachments
Śmiały Arm. Train Reg. Badge.jpg
Śmiały Arm. Train Reg. Badge.jpg (237.17 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

Gumisie

Post by Gumisie » 31 Aug 2005, 20:38

The event was a part of the battle of Mokra:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mokra

Serus

Post by Serus » 08 Sep 2005, 19:11

Christoph Awender wrote:
Musashi wrote:

\Christoph

\Christoph
No reason for being sarcastic, he only mentioned what Polish reports said - its natural to exagerate the losses of the enemy. Probably the crew reported 40 destroyed tanks.

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 08 Sep 2005, 20:44

Serus wrote:
Christoph Awender wrote:
Musashi wrote:

\Christoph

\Christoph
No reason for being sarcastic, he only mentioned what Polish reports said - its natural to exagerate the losses of the enemy. Probably the crew reported 40 destroyed tanks.
He was not sarcastic. The Panzerdivision did not fight just only against 2 armoured trains, but mainly against Wołyńska Cavalry Brigade. The trains were subordinated to this brigade. Therefore it is possible the 4th Panzerdivision lost 40 tanks. Polish side claims 70 tanks "destroyed", but it also includes knocked out ones. It was very hard to destroy a tank with for example a 7,62 AT rifle. Many German tanks must have been repaired after the battle.
From Christoph Awender's site:
XIV.A.K.(mot.):

4.Pz.Div.: 04:45 verst.A.R.103 opens fire on enemy positions on the heights north of Starokrzepice and south of Krzepice. It turns out that there are not many enemy troops on the hieghts later. The division attacks in two groups with S.R.12, I./Pz.Rgt.36, I./A.R.103, Spähtrupp A.A.7, Pioniere, Bautruppen to the left and Inf.Rgt.12 (without 1 Btl.), II./Pz.Rgt.36, I./A.R.31, Spähtrupp A.A.7, Pioniere to the right.

At 05 :00 the two advance groups cross the border without enemy contact. 05:15 Stukas attack Krzepice to break enemy resistance there.

06:00 The right group reaches the Pankowka-sector and the left group reaches the destroyed Krzepice at 06:30. At Krzepice light enemy resistance. The two bridges are destroyed. The I./Pz.Rgt.36 finds a shallow place to cross the river west of the railroad bridge. The division commander gives order to take Krzepice with I./Pz.Rgt.36 from the south and S.R.12 from the west.

The rest of Pz.Rgt.36 (without II.Abt.) and Pz.Rgt.35 receive order to follow and attack Opatow via Krzepice supported by II./Art.Rgt.103. A.A.7 and Pz.Jg.Abt.49 are ordered to advance to Krzepice.

07:30 Krzepice is taken after short fight with polish cavalry. Immediately engineers start to construct a bridge there.

07:45 to the right Kukow is taken against light enemy resistance. A 100m long dam is built across the Pankowka-depression. Pz.Rgt.36 (without II.Abt.) advances to Opatow and finds the bridge there destroyed around 08:00. The tanks cross the river and take the heights east of Opatow against light resistance. Stab and II./Schtz.Rgt.12 also advance towards Opatow while I./S.R.12 advances towards Rebielice where the bridge was reported undamaged by a Spähtrupp of A.A.7.

10:00 the bridge at Krzepice is ready but the advance is slowed down. The construction of a road with steel-plates across the area to Starokrzepice takes until noon because the Army-engineers did not arrive.

The dam across the Pankowka breaks behind the right advance-group and so it takes II./Pz.Rgt.36 until 10:00 to cross the Pankowka.

Around 12:00 Stab Pz.Brig., Pz.Rgt.35 and shortly after II./Pz.Rgt.36 finally arrive in Opatow where swampy terrain makes movmements difficult again.

In the meantime I./Pz.Rgt.36 advances via Wilkowiecko and encounters strong enemy positions at Mokra. Field-guns and AT-rifles cause losses, the Abteilung requests support by radio and withdraws to Wilkowiecko to regroup.

East of Opatow the lead elements of the Panzerbrigade is also stopped by enemy fire. The enemy is pushed back with the first attack. II./A.R.103 fires from positions between Krzepice and Opatow on enemy positions on the heights northeast of Opatow before it takes position east of Opatow.

Schtz.Rgt.12 (Stab and II.Btl. in Opatow, I.Btl. in Rebielice) receives order to keep up with the tanks and advance towards Miedzno. The Div.Gef.Std. moves to the area 2km west of Opatow.

I./S.R.12 (supported by 2./A.R.103) crosses the brook at Rebilice against light enemy resistance and advances through the forrest north of Mokra I. At 15:00 the I./S.R.12 encounters a enemy armoured train and cavalry at the railroad and goes back. After regrouping the Btl. fights down attacking polish cavalry and takes Izbiska after sunset.

East of Wilkowiecko Pz.Rgt.35 right and Pz.Rgt.36 left start to attack towards Mokra. The tanks overrun enemy positions in Mokra. Another enemy defense-line at the forrest and railroad-dam causes losses and stops the attack. 22 men KIA, 27 WIA.

17:00 After II./A.R.103 fired at the enemy forrest- and railroad-dam positions and I./Pz.Rgt.35 outflanked them a platoon of II./Pz:Rgt.35 pushes through the enemy lines in the forrest and reaches Miedzno which is free of enemy forces. In the evening II./P.R.35 occupies the heights east of the forrest.

II./S.R.12 follows behind the Panzerbrigade is delayed at Opatow. At Wilkowiecko the Btl. receives enemy fire from the forrest northeast of the village. Just one Kp. reaches the tanks in the area of Mokra in the evening.

To the right Inf.Rgt.12 reaches the heights south of Wilkowiecko around 18:00 where A.A.7 (securing the right flank at Walenczow) pushed back light enemy forces before.

18:15 Art.Rgt.103 partly is or goes into position in the area Wilkowiecko.

Around 18:15 chaotic messages and withdrawing damaged tanks cause a panic under supply troops in Opatow. Just the division commander himself can stop the fleeing sodiers after 1km.

18:15 Pz.Jg.Abt.49 is ordered to move to Mokra and support the units there. Forces around Mokra are ordered to hold the area for the night.

On this day the division os not able to reach the ordered objective.
[My emphasis]
I don't think a sarcasm was intended in his previous post.

kru

Post by kru » 17 Jul 2007, 00:38

Musashi wrote: "Śmiały" means brave in English. It's an adjective.

Oh, really. 8O
I thought that "Śmiały" means Bold in English, all these years.
It is exactly: Bold, Bold, Bold, Bold, BOLD. Learn some language damn it. Arghhh.

henryk

Post by henryk » 17 Jul 2007, 21:35

Kru said:
I thought that "Śmiały" means Bold in English, all these years.
It is exactly: Bold, Bold, Bold, Bold, BOLD. Learn some language damn it. Arghhh.
Relax. My dictionary gives the meanings: brave, bold, daring. The early Polish King Bolesław Śmiały is usually given in English as Boleslaw the Bold.
I learned the word to mean "not shy". I was puzzled to see that applied to a king until I looked it up.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”