Question about tank production

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
modelbouw nederland

Question about tank production

Post by modelbouw nederland » 23 May 2020 11:37

Good day everyone,

Today I was reading a book about the B1 and the variations of this tank for my model making project that I want to do.
And I noticed that a lot of the French tanks that were made before and during World War II were missing a lot of component when they were delivered.
Why did the French have to much difficulty with producing all the components for their tanks?
And why did they more often than not deliver incomplete tanks?
I mean, to me French World War II tanks don't seem that complicated at all, compared to the German tanks that I usually build.
And why did several authorities such as the factory paint on the camouflage schemes instead of the troops in the field?

Would be great if you would be able to give an answer to my questions, because I really want to find out more about this and more particular subjects that I want to model.
Thank you in advance.

AllenM

Re: Question about tank production

Post by AllenM » 23 May 2020 22:56

I refer you to this page. It appears that French tank production was much interfered with and delayed, partly due to modifications made after field tests revealed problems. The author of the following is not a native English speaker so a few of his words are not quite right.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/fran ... B1_bis.php

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 24 May 2020 02:51

A more fundamental thread was the realative inefficiency of civilian goods production for weapons. The French were no different than anyone else, in that they had to conduct a massive reorganization of industry to produce arms to meet their goals for 1941-42. This led to lapses in production 1939-40. The US had similar problems, barely able in 1940 to build a single regiment of tanks, despite the largest heavy industrial plant globally.

modelbouw nederland

Post by modelbouw nederland » 24 May 2020 11:18

If I'm understanding it right, you are saying that it was all due to organizational problems.
And that they were in the middle of a reorganization of their productions plants and capacity.
Why were they so inefficient in production of goods?
And why did the French first produce a tank to test it afterwards to discover other issues.
Then making changes and that the production process needs changes to delay production of armor even more.
Why didn't they just test it before hand and afterwards take it into production?
By the way, I did already read that article what you are mentioning to.
Thank you so far for helping me with this answers and hope you can help me even more with this by answering the other questions that I have asked in this reply.

Return to “France 1919-1945”