French tanks Coaxial Machine guns

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
valentine III

French tanks Coaxial Machine guns

Post by valentine III » 25 Oct 2016, 18:39

I'm a long time gamer and I'have been always surprised by the low machine gun factors allowed to French tanks coaxial machine guns.

I have read many books but I have never found any comment that said there were any flaw in its design to justify it's lower effectivenes compared to other nations coaxials. Maybe french tank commanders were so overloaded with work to not be able to use them properly?

From most accounts I've read, most of the time tank weapons were fired with the tank stopped and with the commander fully devoted to fire aganist the german tanks, antitank guns or infantry.

Thanks

Eduard

LineDoggie

Re: French tanks Coaxial Machine guns

Post by LineDoggie » 26 Oct 2016, 11:49

Well the downside of the French Co-Ax (Mle 1931) was it lacked a quick change barrel, so even though it was a thicker barrel and able to absorb more heat it had a lower practical ROF. It's sustained ROF was only 150 RPM

A M1919 Browning, MG13, MG34, Besa, could have the barrel changed
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

valentine III

Re: French tanks Coaxial Machine guns

Post by valentine III » 28 Oct 2016, 09:46

Yes, the Reibel (MAC 31) had a problem of overheating with sustained fire. I undesrtand that It was a very important issue for fortifications (maginot buinkers) where as a defender you would need sustained fire to impede the enemy trops aproach.
But as a Coax in a mobile tank, most fire would be "short" bursts to opportunity targets and just fire "as mad" in do-or-die occassions when enemy antitank guns were meet.

Return to “France 1919-1945”