As the Nazis occupied France, what did they do about French gun ownership?

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
axisinquirer

As the Nazis occupied France, what did they do about French gun ownership?

Post by axisinquirer » 19 Jun 2017, 04:10

I found an article on the internet that mentioned, very briefly, that the French were ordered to turn in guns within 24 hours. But I don't know if that's true or not.

Were the French ordered to turn in guns? If so, did the Nazis search for and seize guns?

Were guns even that prevalent in France beforehand? All I can find online is current French gun laws, not historic ones.

Thank-you for your help

DavidFrankenberg

Re: As the Nazis occupied France, what did they do about French gun ownership?

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 23 Jun 2017, 17:05

Yes, guns were forbidden. France had many hunters, they had rifles for hunt. People was supposed to give the guns to the authority in order to avoid shootings against germans.
Some people just kept their guns 'not officially declare (to the authorities. Hunting was not practicing anymore during the whole war)... That's why the forests and the country were plenty of wild games to hunt at the Libération.

axisinquirer

Post by axisinquirer » 14 Jul 2017, 22:12

Thank-you very much

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 03 Aug 2017, 01:36

The same is true about fishing : the war at sea stopped the fishing there. So at the Libération the fishermen caught a lot of fishs for years. Everyone who lived that post-war years remember it as incredible years for hunting and fishing.

Return to “France 1919-1945”