organization of RTS in 1940

Discussions on all aspects of France during the Inter-War era and Second World War.
Kelvin

organization of RTS in 1940

Post by Kelvin » 13 Jan 2018 21:41

Hi, French DIC were recruited in French West Africa, not only in Senegel, but also recurited in large numbers in Ivory Coast, Upper Volta, French Soudan and Guinea and also less numbers in Dahomey, Niger and Mauitania. They all used "Senegalese" in units, but they would used separate national in company or even platioon level, like Guinean company like that ?

And is DIC is not recurited in French Equatorial Africa (Gabon, Congo, Oubangri Chari and Chad) ? Thank

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: organization of RTS in 1940

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 13 Jan 2018 23:46

Hi Kelvin,
There were several RTS units :
Tirailleurs sénégalais du Cameroun
Tirailleurs sénégalais de la Côte française des Somalis
Tirailleurs sénégalais de Guinée
Tirailleurs sénégalais du Levant
Tirailleurs sénégalais du Maroc
Tirailleurs sénégalais du Niger
Tirailleurs sénégalais de l'Oubangui-Chari
Tirailleurs sénégalais de renfort
Tirailleurs sénégalais du Soudan
Tirailleurs sénégalais du Tchad
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des ... 3%A9galais

Kindly regards fron Belgium
Prosper :wink: :wink:

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 13 Jan 2018 23:50

Hello

the wikipedia list has many inaccuracies including "fakes"-regiments

the regiments are dissociated from a colony in particular, could be homogeneous at level company but like in the Foreign Legion the soldiers were mixed I assume with the difficulty to not expose two antagonist ethnics groups in the same company

for obvious demographic reasons the so-called Senegalese were more recruited in the rest of the AOF than in Senegal itself as it represented only 10% of the AOF while Ivory Coast was around 4 millions of inhabitants and French Sudan ~3.5, both concentrated half of the 15 millions of inhabitants in AOF, «Upper Volta» didn't exist at that time, this colonial territory was disbanded between 1932 and 1947 and divided in the others colonies
the French division of Western Africa in colonies is more like french metropolitan departments, so could not be regarded as recognizing "national" groups of post-1960 independence African States, various ethnic groups are in several colonies like the Peuls

there were not no one from AEF but less for the same demographic reasons : whole AEF is equivalent in inhabitants to the colony of French Sudan only, and because specific nations of AOF (Mossis Sérères Bambaras) were considered as races of warriors while nomadic people of Niger Mauritania in AOF or from the main forest AEF viewed as malajusted for the military life
e.g. there were 67 Gaboneses in the 7th company of the 53e RICMS and 57 Gaboneses in the 3rd company of the newly-raised 25e RTS when both 1st and 2nd Battalions are mainly from Oulofs and Sérères from Senegal and its 3rd Battalion from Sudanese Bambaras

Togo and Cameroons, soldiers were not allowed to be recruited for colonial troops outside their respective territory according to the mandate of the SDN, troops were only limited to a militia indigenous guard police and only volunteers, no RTS/BTS, the RTS du Cameroun was disbanded in 1925 and raised again when the territory joined Free France in 1940

Regards
Loïc

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 14 Jan 2018 06:34

Hello, Prosper and Loic, thank for your all information to help me, very much appreciated. :D

I am also searching some additional information. Although people in Niger and Mauitania were good warrior, but I find that recruitment in those area was very unpopular. On the other hand, given larger population, recruitment of soldiers was least unpopular in Ivory Coast. If Ivory Coast and French Soudan were accounted for 27% and 24 % of population of AOE, Is is possible in 1940, first four active DIC in May 1940 was completely either Ivory Coast people or people from Mali ?

And Loic, may you give me some other examples about some minoirity companies in 1940 DIC, like infantry company from Niger, Mauitiana , Dahomey or Chad or some else ? Thank

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 14 Jan 2018 17:39

hello

I think it is quite complicated to have such ethnic statistics, it supposes to have good archives with full regimental nominatives lists and accurates origins for each man, I don't remember to have see such things, but who knows

I have just read generalities like from someone doing researches about the 24e RTS that they are mainly Bambara, Wolof, and Mossis, ethnic groups renowned for their great warrior tradition, best of them will become NCOs. However other contingents are present, such as Malinkés, Soussous, Toucouleurs, Sombas and Foulas, the mixture of all these men preventing the domination of one group over another.

so even described like that : Bambaras came mainly from French Sudan today Mali but also present in Sénégal Ivory Coast Mauritania
Mossis from suppressed and divided former colony of Upper Volta (northern Ivory Coast, southeastern Sudan, southwestern Niger)
Malinkés from from French Guinea and Sudan
Soussous from French Guinea
Sombas from Dahomey only
Toucouleurs and Wolofs/Ouolofs from Sénégal Mauritania Sudan...
and Foulas or Peuls from everywhere in AOF

AOF it is not only 8 colonies drawn like french departments in black Africa by the French colonization, it represented a complex map of around 50 to 60 ethnic groups, even one named «Maoris» like in New Zealand

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » 14 Jan 2018 18:30

Hi, Loic, thank for your help. It seem a more complicated matter than I expected, previously I think just like British 81st West African division which I see they had their own Colony name in their regiments, like Gold Coast regiment, Nigerian regiment etc. On the other hand, DINA seemed much more easier to identify their national.

Return to “France 1919-1945”